Specialty crops

Gardenry

Farm Hand
Do you grow any specialty crops? I've heard they can be big sellers, especially bamboo and ginseng. Has that been your experience? Ginseng seems hard to grow, though because it requires pretty specific conditions to thrive.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
Is lavender still considered to be a specialty crop? I know it was at one point because a customer remarked on it. I grow lavender for the bouquets that I make and sell. It's been good to me.

Nora

Nora

Farm Hand
Bamboo is considered invasive where I live, so it's a no for me. I grow small organic salad greens, which are considered a specialty crop in my neck of the woods. It's a decent earner, but it's certainly not enough to sustain an operation alone. I think many growers treat specialty crops like that.

FarmEnthusiast

FarmEnthusiast

Farm Hand
Farmers are encouraged to adopt specialty crops to make use of their knowledge and gardening skills. It is also a way to earn extra income. Since these crops are not widely grown, they fetch higher prices. Yes, lavender is a specialty crop, with lavender farming being a profitable venture.