Combines straw walker loss on jd 9500 on barley

hank

Have you extended your walker pansIJ It helped our 9600 when I did that. Can't do the outside walkers because of the sensors. I also just turn off the monitor to the walkers and just keep the header full and take a little less staw if possible. good luck

Bundy

Unfortunatley barley really shows up the weaknesses of the walker machines. I know it frustrates the hell out of me. Some questions for you first. 1.What sort of load is going over the sievesIJ Is the needle showing the sieves are throwing also or is it not moving at allIJ 2. Do you have any inserts on your concaveIJ If so then I'd be pulling at least some of them out first. If your machine isn't throwing over the sieves and you have a bit of capacity left on them, then perhaps it might be worth narrowing the concave down and speeding the drum up ( just watch your cracks obviously) with an aim to distribute more of the load back down on the sieves to try and balance things out a bit between the sieves and the walkers. It's sometimes a pretty fine line to walk but if you can get the balance correct you really get an improvement in capacity and ground speed. Also don't be afraid to get out and check behind the combine manually to ensure what the sensor is telling you is correct. Different crops will effect the sensor in different ways. Sometimes what is on the ground may be quite exceptable even though the sensor is going off it's head, and visa versa. Hope this helps a little. Cheers Bundy

Solly

I am a South African farmer,with the same problem,we cut 25 to30 feet windrows of barley and have to much straw walker loss. Tried everything already but still listen for any advice Problem is that it cost Deere a lot in the area and there were a shift to the red bine

Duane

Some years the barley swaths that has had many inches of rain on it before harvest is tougher to get also. The growing barley heads doesn't come out as well. The straw seems to break up well if dry and that could also be playing havok with your monitor system reading. Did you get 10" of rain on your barley like Park River area or did you miss out and only get 4" or maybe lessIJ

Solly

Duane We rather miss out,4 inches of rain on barley windrows is 2 inches too much and it spell trouble,with only one buyer of malting barley in South Africa they determine the rules,so count yourself lucky that you have a competitive market and can take 10 inches of rain on barley windrows and still produce malting barley

greenback

last year we rept a barley crop which went 2 ton to the acre and was in 60 ft rows around the outside of the paddock.It was crazy but anyway we were throwing crap loads over the walkers and improved it by doing what bundy suggests, close the concave up speed up your drum and keep a close eye on the sample had a few skinnings but at least it felt as though we were moving!! If its had a lot of rain on it ,its unlikely to get top grade anyway so a little skinning want hurt.If you've had no rain on it wait for that cranking hot day and she'll go a bit better too.