Combines Tell me this

ClIPPER

I think the reason is that most manufacturers try and design a machine to be efficient in every crop. Most add on attatchments will make a machine more efficient in certain crops only. I asked a few people from Deere why they did not market the Birotor machine, when they introduced the STS. The answer was that the Birotor performed really well, in only certain conditions.They felt the STS was a better all around crop machine.

Deerebines

B.S.!!!!!! They didn't want to market it because it would ruin resale on all other green combines and it could be produced for a 1_4th of what you pay for a new one now. It worked well in all Crops. I talked to the guy that built it personally on the phone. The bi-rotor is way to advanced with to simple of a design and it would put deere out of business when it came to parts and shop time. They bought those patents to save thier neck!

Greg

I am unsure of what this bi rotor design is that everyone keeps talking about. When was It concieved, who concieved it, and what are ots fundamentals of operation.

Greg

I am unsure of what this bi rotor design is that everyone keeps talking about. When was It concieved, who concieved it, and what are its fundamentals of operation.

sharecropper

Go to the Cat combine talk show. Address farmbuddy with your questions. I believe he has first hand experience. My understanding from Mark that the enginering dept. treated them okay but the legal dept rammed it up his butt. For all you green bleeders, red bleeders or what ever color you love, remember the companies first responsibilty is to the shareholder not you. By hook or crook they will get what they want from you or your business. I could go on for hours with accounts of theft , deception, etc. But i will spare you. Yes the Bi-rotor was a hell of a machine. b

Buckshot

Are you as dumb as you soundIJ If it was that good, Deere would have built it. They wouldn't refuse to make a combine that would dominate the market for sake of used resale. If that was the case the STS would never have been built. If it could really be produced for 1_4 of an STS or conventional, they would just charge the same and make a higher profit to boot. Bottom line is the bi-rotor seems to be a neat idea that doesn't really work as good as the designers figured. Now they are all misty-eyed and nostalgic and blame Deere that their baby never made it out of the prototype stage. Boo hoo.

Farm_Kid2

Clipper, Ask your JD contacts how many different Bi-Rotor machines they built before they came to that conclusion. I'm not doubting that the STS could best Mark's original prototypes, but did the first STS prototypes do betterIJ I think not. Fundamentally, I think the Bi-Rotor concept has more advantages for the farmer than any other. A small, compact, lightweight machine with huge capacity. Fitting that into JD's marketing plan is probably the problem.

Deerebines

Foolish person you are. That deere sitting in your yard may be your property but it is still deere's baby and if they hung themselves on resale of machinery you can bet farmers that trade every year or so would change colors. The bi-rotor was out of prototype stage. It was built. It was established. It was proven. It outcut what deere had at the time hands down and with the greatest of ease and efficiency. Deere already had the sts in prototype. Deere already had started tooling up thier factories. That there is another major dominating factor as to why they did not produce the bi-rotor. The only stupid one I see here is YOU!

SilverTurnedGreen

The Bi-rotor WAS NOT out of the prototype stage, and regardless of what you might think, CAT obviously did not see the value in pursuing the Bi-Rotor concept. If you had read the Book "Dream Weaver", you would know that CAT had carefully compared the performance of the Bi-Rotor against competitive combines which were CURRENTlY on the market at that time, and felt that it came up short. There's no doubt that the Bi-Rotor had some winning qualities in ideal conditions, but it was far from ready for mass production. My understanding is that Deere bought the design to avoid some possible patent infringements, but that's only rumor.