The timing of sales?

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
What time of year does most farm machinery go on sale? For instance, I've noticed that lawn mowers are typically priced the lowest in September. What about tractors, tillers, combines, and other machinery?

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
I am not sure about the timing of specific machinery but have you ever considered going to an auction. Around where I stay, most auctions take place from November to early March.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
You can get some great deals on power tools around Father's Day. I've picked up heavy-duty power saws and tree trimmers during that time. ATVs often go on sale then too.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Around here, upstate New York, we have auctions all year. I buy a lot of my equipment at auctions. I bought one of my tractors at an auctions, most of my tractor implements, livestock equipment, tools, etc. Obviously equipment goes cheaper when it's not the season when they're used. I bought a square baler at an auction October, and paid a lot less than I would have if I bought it in the spring or summer.

Pinewood Acres

Pinewood Acres

Farm Hand
Thanks a bunch for all the tips. I also noticed the auction thread that was recently created, so I'm heading there to see what bits of wisdom I can glean. I'm not new to farming, but I never got the hang of buying things at certain times of the year in order to save money. I'm trying to do better about that.

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
Around here, upstate New York, we have auctions all year. I buy a lot of my equipment at auctions. I bought one of my tractors at an auctions, most of my tractor implements, livestock equipment, tools, etc. Obviously equipment goes cheaper when it's not the season when they're used. I bought a square baler at an auction October, and paid a lot less than I would have if I bought it in the spring or summer.
I acquired most of my machinery, implements, or equipment at auctions. The timing has to be right, plus you have to ascertain how much you can spend. Once you attend one, there's no stopping!