Thinking of growing houseplants

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
My wife asked my why we don't try our hand in houseplants this winter. So we bought some shamrock plants and we are going to try to grow them bigger and then separate them. Anyone have any tips? We are starting small.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
So we bought some shamrock plants and we are going to try to grow them bigger and then separate them. Anyone have any tips?
Yes, make sure that's legal. If that plant has a patent, they'll hit you up with a cease and desist order before you can blink. You could probably get away with a small charity sale, but you won't go unnoticed if you're selling them as a business. Definitely check for a patent and a trademark.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
How are you supposed to know whether a plant has been trademarked or patented? Good grief, it sure sounds like a hassle. Good luck, @Roo4. I hope your new venture is a big success.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
I'd like to know more about these patents too? I would think you could add them to your flower stand/vegetable stand. Are you thinking of opening a big plant business?
We grew houseplants when I was growing up. We gifted them and didn't sell them.

Almost Eden

Almost Eden

Bean Stalker
A lot of times the plant's tag will tell you. It will say trademarked or patented or will use abbreviations like PVR (plant variety rights). Another option is to identify the plant name via the internet or through a gardening club or plant expert, and then check the database to see if it's listed. It can be a pain. Just in case you guys didn't already know this, unless it's a rare variety, plants are usually cheap to buy wholesale. Lots of people buy wholesale and then retail them. So that's another option if you want to sell houseplants.