Tiny egg

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I don' want to dispute the other theories, but if you had some first time layers, I'm quite sure one of them was the source of the tiny egg. Her next egg will probably be normal sized.
Oh, I believe you. It makes the most sense in my case. I doubt it's the construction, or I'd be finding tiny eggs all the time. I know it isn't a diet issue because mine are turned out to pasture and I give them chicken feed as well. Plus, none of the hens are displaying any health or behavioral problems. I know it's not a parasite issue because they've been treated. It wasn't a cowbird egg because it didn't look like one when I compared the two. None of my birds are too old to lay eggs, so it can't be that either. I have three first timers though, so I think you're right. I haven't seen another tiny egg since then.

The Back 40

The Back 40

Farm Hand
t's odd, truly odd. Of course, maybe it isn't as I thought...

Now i don't remember the last time I saw something of this kind, but I remember the egg was complete. This is surely something different.
Just like a tiny egg, in that it's a one off. It would be more fun to speculate that Dupont is to blame for dumping their waste in the nearby creek, but the truth is, more times than not, simple and boring.

vincenzosassone

Farm Hand
Oh, I believe you. It makes the most sense in my case. I doubt it's the construction, or I'd be finding tiny eggs all the time. I know it isn't a diet issue because mine are turned out to pasture and I give them chicken feed as well. Plus, none of the hens are displaying any health or behavioral problems. I know it's not a parasite issue because they've been treated. It wasn't a cowbird egg because it didn't look like one when I compared the two. None of my birds are too old to lay eggs, so it can't be that either. I have three first timers though, so I think you're right. I haven't seen another tiny egg since then.
First of all, I want to excuse with you all for the time of absence, I had some problems...
Anyway, I have good news: I talked with my gramparents about it. I asked them about the tiny egg and they told me exactly what I told you in this forum. Then I asked them for the possibility of this egg for being without nucleus, and my grampa began to tell me there is the possibility to find a very very tiny core as well as the possibility not to find anything...
I nearly forgot: my gramma stated that there isn't the possibily to find an egg without the nucleus, whereas my grampa told me maybe there is the possibily to find it.
To sum up, I don't know exactly since this is the first time for me and for my family to hear this.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
It's happened to me twice before. The eggs were about the size of a silver dollar. I chalked it up to having young hens who were just entering their first season of egg laying. I didn't think much of it. I've seen some weird things in my time.

GoatGal

GoatGal

Farm Hand
I was always told that small eggs come from chickens who are laying eggs for the first time. But if you have no first time layers in your flock, it might be the stress caused by the construction.