Tips for Growing Carrots?

GoatGal

GoatGal

Farm Hand
The carrots in my garden always grow very small. It's disappointing to go out to the garden and dig up a puny carrot when you're hoping for a nice plump one. Does anyone have any tips for growing carrots?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
In order for carrots to grow large, the ground must be very soft. We usually grow carrots in raised beds where we add a lot of compost to the soil to make it soft and fertile.

Charli

Farm Hand
Interesting. We've never had a problem growing carrots and we don't use a raised bed. I didn't know there was a trick to this. Thank you @RichZ.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Well, you don't have to use a raised bed. We grow some in the garden, too, but we make sure the soil is very soft down to at least a foot. When I was a little kid I grew carrots for 4H, and I didn't listen when my parents told me to work the soil at least a foot deep and my carrots grew in little round balls.

GoatGal

GoatGal

Farm Hand
In order for carrots to grow large, the ground must be very soft. We usually grow carrots in raised beds where we add a lot of compost to the soil to make it soft and fertile.
I had no idea that there was such an easy trick to growing carrots! My family has a raised bed that we're going to use for carrots now. I'm really excited to try my carrots in the raised bed! Thanks for the advice! :)