Combines Unresponsive steering on an N6

tbran

we ran into this a few years back on one. First raise the header all the way and make the hyd releif valve bring the pressure to max. Now see if steers ok. If so the valve is not signaling the pump to stroke. Check stand by pressure. Check the flow limiter valve in the master section as well as the plug on the side that has the looooong spring that seats the check valve and check ball. Check the seat (the one on the valve not in the cab) for the ball here. They have been know to come loose.

MacTech

Could this steering issue be related to sluggish and jerky header lift as wellIJ The same combine has both problems. Thanks for the help,

MacTech

When you say "First raise the header all the way and make the hyd releif valve bring the pressure to max." does that mean keep the header lift switch in the raise position even after the header tops out, and then turn the wheelIJ Thanks so much for the help!

Dan

You say steering and header lift is sluggish and jerky. Sorry but I have to ask is oil level up. I have never saw a problem with the steering hand pump in the cab. Tbran does mean to hold header button in lift and then see what the steering does. Also try holding steering hard one way and see what header lift does. With a combination of problems you are seeing I'm going to lean toward pump problem. Could be broken spring or sticking spool in compensator that is mounted to pump. Could also be sticking piston or broken spring in the pump that controls angle of swash plate. Is this just as bad hot and cold or did it start all of a sudden. Be sure large suction hose inbetween pump and hydralic tank is not sucking air. Hope that helps. Dan