Combines Weed Seed Collection for R62

tj

From what appears to be the size of your blower spout,you're probably restricting the unloading of the shoe. This will keep trash on it longer than you want. Is there a chance of increasing fan and spout diameterIJ It's likely that you need to move slightly more CFM of air with the spout than the cleaning fan supplies. This could be a little tricky to find, since too much might pull grain off the rear of the chaffer and into your waste trailer.

John_W

Didn't Sukup or someone in Canada sell a rig to catch chaffIJ Seems I remember one with a trough with an auger behind the shoe and a blower on the end. One thought is that you can get much more MOG over the shoe on a rotary machine, especially in dry brittle crops. I have seen numbers like 50% of the MOG going over the shoe, so you may need a lot more capacity than on a walker machine.

04a72

Yes the idea came out of canada i think "redecop" rings a bell, and is now widely use on mainly John Deeres in western australia.Rotarys are very different, as you would agree, more material on and over shoe.

tj

Pardon me for dropping out of the conversation. I ended up at a farm show in Omaha, Ne. this week. Questions--is your blower inline, getting it's air supply off the shoe with the trash passing thru it, or is it off to the side being supplied externallyIJ Would you consider other optionsIJ A farmer in Arkansas, in conjunction with the University of Ark., several years ago, developed a set of rollers for crushing weed seed which were screened out as they were sent thru the clean grain elevator. As I understand, this worked pretty well, and I'm pretty sure they patented it. This would mean that you would need to set your sieves to let them thru. You might try calling them or If you'd like, I can try to get in touch for you--I'm pretty sure that John W. might like this info, as well.

John_W

I can remember using a Scour-Kleen weed seed cleaner on an old Case pull type combine in soybeans when I was a lad (a long time ago). It cleaned out the fines between the clean grain elevator and the grain tank. Weed seed was collected in a burlap bag or let run on the ground as many did. But I don't think that type of device would be much good for light fluffy weed seeds whick are apt to be blown out with the chaff.

Alan

I am a graduate student at louisiana State University working on my Master's degree in weed science. I found your weed seed collection cart to be very interesting. What do you do with the seed after you collect themIJ What particular resistant weeds and herbicides are you concerned withIJ What area of the country do you work inIJ Also, could you tell me where I might find more information on this approach to what is becoming a serious problemIJ Thanks