What To Do With An Old Barn

Darwin

I need advice on what to do with an old barn. I was thinking about tearing it down, but maybe it still has some use left in it. I'm wondering if the cost of fixing it up is worth it.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
Would you be interested in growing mushrooms? There is a variety of them out there, and you'll have to make a choice first before making the necessary modifications of the barn, like limiting the light coming in.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Not much info to go on...what the condition of the sills/plates and roof rafters etc. ?

Kathy

Kathy

Farm Hand
If your barn is sturdy enough, it could be used for storage. My parents used their old barn to store tractors, extra feed, and so forth. Do you have a newer barn where you keep livestock? What would you do with the space if you tare down the old barn?

William Van

William Van

Farm Hand
If it were me, I would use it as a shop for my vehicles. I like it better when I can work on them under shelter and a barn is bigger than a typical garage. More "moving about" room.

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
I'd divide it in two. House ducks on one side and chickens or pheasants on the other. Add water for the ducks and create a decent outdoor area for them to use during the day and you're all set.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
You'd be surprised how long well built barns will stay standing. We've got a 140 year old barn, many others around here still standing. Some get fixed up and that's nice too if you've got the time to devote to it. For that project I'd like to mill my own barn boards from the property. Nothing more proud than building from the land you stand on.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Need photos/details.

Lots of buyers for older barn beams and wood in solid condition. Slate also has some value.

Fix it depends alot on size/condition/need. Reality is it may be cheaper to build a NEW pole building than rehab a barn...and you can build size you need and have a customized building.

Of course there is a "vintage feel" of an old barn..to some people its got value.

Scatterlandsfarms

Scatterlandsfarms

Farm Hand
post is worthless without pics ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sorry

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
Depending on the condition ... there are many options.

In addition to the ones listed above, if it really is beyond salvage by either repair or selling the lumber - you might see if the local fire department would like to burn it for you as a training exercise.