Combines wheat harvesting rates

customcutter

Commonly stated as "Triple 18's" this would be $18_acre for cutting, $.18_bu hauled, and $.18_bu yield over a set number of bushels (usually 20 or something pretty low). Personally I can't believe that they are going to charge that high. I realize that equipment prices are getting so high that current rates are making it tough for cutters to make it. But that is a huge jump from what I know most people work for and I can't see smiles on customers' faces picturing harvesters telling them that information. It's a tough situation because cutters are struggling, but the farmers are struggling just as much. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place....

kinetic

wow, 3 18's is extremely high. We pay a flat rate here in northern SD, which has been usually around the $17.00 range. last year most harvesters that I know were charging 3 13's or 3 14's. 3 18's is an exorbant(sp) rate!! for 60 bu. Winter Wheat that adds up $36.00 an acre!! This harvesters machines will most likely be sitting alot if he tries to charge that. I don't know any wheat farmer that can afford those type of rates. just my opinion, make of it what you will.

johnboy

Here in Australia we get $11 to $12 an acre for a 36 bushell wheat crop and we pay a lot more for the harvesting gear. john

drylander

Three 12s is pretty common out here in Eastern Colorado. I have never heard of anything higher than 13.

wheat_whacker

I realize that new combine prices are out of sight, but i can't imagine anyone being able to pay 3 18's to get $2 (at best) wheat cut.... 40 bu per acre * $2 = $80.00 per acre $18.00 per acre combining =(18.00)

KCC

I farm and custom harvest both and I know both sides of the ball very well. As far as the wheat cost is in my area...NW Kansas summer fallow wheat is costing about $60_acre with an spring application of chemical as soon as ground dries. I also have some double cropped wheat that will cost $50_acre. This does not include cash rent or crop share of the crop. So looking forward to $2 to $2.50 wheat is not very exciting. Now, on my custom harvesting side I have worked for $13_acre $.13 bushel and $.13 bushel over 20 bushel for the last two years. Diesel fuel price here compared to last year has raised approx $.50_gal and going up. I am not sure as to what will happen this summer but I can give you some real numbers as to how the fuel prices will affect bottom line cost to the harvester. The increase in "farm" fuel will cost an extra $.50 for combine expense. If a grain cart is used say over 3 machines an extra cost of $.14_acre. Now here is where the math gets tricky...a cutter with semi's will use less fuel than one like me who uses tandem trucks aka more trips to elevator ...more fuel. I will give you an example from my operation. Assuming 50 bu wheat and a 12 mile trip to town...I will make one trip to town for every twelve acres wheat harvested. This will cost an extra $.26_acre for hauling the crop to town. Now a person should figure in the support equipment. I allow another 25 gallon at the extra cost of $12.5_day. Now here is another variable that will compute into my costs for the year. I haul equipment to and from each customers farm at a yearly mileage of about 4500 miles. I can figure an average miles per gallon of 7.5 to average the whole fleet. Now my extra cost to transport machinery for the year is $300 and must be computed in my cost of each acre. This adds another $.03_acre to the cost of each acre harvested. So now I have an additional $.93_acre of fuel cost plus and additional $12.5 per day. So I can finally tell you that this years fuel prices will cost me an additional $10,000 maybe more. I have gave you 'real' numbers to give you the "other" guys opinion. Feel free to ask any questions of anything I have left out. There is much to this subject that I have opinions on and don't mind sharing them.

Brimfarms

Here in louisiana we usually get $20-$22 _ac cutting, 18 cents hauling(depending how far). I farm and custom harvest so I see both ends very well.