Windmills?

Charli

Farm Hand
I've seen quite a few windmills on vacant farmland (in empty fields). Have you ever thought of doing this?
I wouldn't do it because I'm not sure how it would affect the land. Thoughts?

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
Never! I do know some farmers in our local area that thought about it. I don't think it's a good fit for me or our farm. I don't criticize other farmers who think it is right for them.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
There are grants available for windmills, but they're VERY difficult to get. I have a friend whose farm is on top of a mountain, and it's ALWAYS windy, and he was told where he lives doesn't get enough wind to qualify for a grant. He asked the agency to visit his farm so they could see for themselves, but they insisted there's not enough wind where his farm is. I used to buy hay from him, and one time we were loading hay into my truck and the wind actually knocked us both down.

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
There are grants available for windmills, but they're VERY difficult to get. I have a friend whose farm is on top of a mountain, and it's ALWAYS windy, and he was told where he lives doesn't get enough wind to qualify for a grant. He asked the agency to visit his farm so they could see for themselves, but they insisted there's not enough wind where his farm is. I used to buy hay from him, and one time we were loading hay into my truck and the wind actually knocked us both down.
Your friend undoubtedly qualifies for a grant! It sounds funny that you both got knocked down, but I hope none of you got hurt. I am curious to know the criteria used to determine whether a place is windy enough!

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
@RanchHouse Sure sounds like that place was windy enough. I would love to know how they calculate that too. They must have some scientist who comes out to the area and measures.
I know grant writing is a tedious job but in the end worth it, if you get the grant.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
In my friend's case the grant authority had a map showing areas with the most wind, and his farm wasn't in one of the areas. They weren't interested in listening to the fact that his farm was on top of a mountain, and it was a very windy area. I'm not saying that no one will get a grant, I'm just pointing out that they may make it hard to get one.