Combines custom harvesting

ut2

Interested in finding if there is a need for custom cutting in the Southeast Idaho area and the greater snake river valley. Thanks Brett

RED_GREEN

JR I'm also 20 years old, and have ran combines when I was old enough. This summer, I got my first experience harvesting through the wheat belt with a crew, starting in Texas and back up to home. (ND) Before, I went, I knew I was gonna love it, because all I ever wanted to do during harvest at at my family farm, was run the combine. Now, I plan to go a couple more years with different crews, and get a taste of their style of operation. I hope to start my own operation within 3-5 years. The only problem I have is, getting customers. I have 3 combines, but would need to get my own trucks and trailers, etc. Also, the next biggest concern is getting employees, and keeping them thru the season. I would say the future looks to be promising for us young men and old, once the economy gets better somehow. You can make a profitable operation, if you knew all the right moves, which is why I am taking Business and Ag Business to help with my future career. Hope this helps. RED_GREEN

Klaus

JR, I come from Germany and I`m 21 years old. I work for a custom harvester since a few years. In my region its also very difficult to earn money in this business. My boss bought 6 new combines the last 4 years. Unfortunately our field size is very small, thats why I would like to work for a custom harvester in the US. I also enjoy this job, but it can be very stressful when you have to work day and night.

Deere_Boy

I am 19 years old and have lived on a farm my entire life. I am currently enrolled in college majoring in mechanized agriculture. I have always wanted to work on a harvesting crew and maybe run a crew of my own someday if farming wasn't a possibility. The question that I am asking is if you know any crews that just need help during the summer months while I attend college. Everybody that I have talked to want employees through November. Any input would be appreciated or you can e-mail me at mr_rtj@hotmail.com.

RED_GREEN

I can give you a few points to several crews, but I would need to know, if you rather work for one from your state, or any location. I was in a similar situation myself last spring, when I was looking for a summer crew, since I had to go back to school this September. I was lucky enough to find a crew. There were some crews around here, that would take in college students, if there were no other long term workers available. I guess your best luck, would be to check with every harvester thats looking for help. There would be a few that would take in college students. So all it takes, is to check on each one, until you hit the gold pot. That's how it worked with my college friends. Hope this helps. RED_GREEN

cutter2388

Hey there hows it goingIJ Well on the harvesting deal it is a touch and go situation. My family has been in the harvesting business since 1947 and I remember gramps talking about the good and bad years both. My father got involved with it in 1968 and he tells storys of both good and bad years. My family quit doing the long haul in 1982 and we just harvested locally untill 1998 when I took interest in it and decided to pursue it. I can say it has been good and hard both. I hired on with a crew in 1997 to see what I thought and the man I went with was a very established cutter who was on his 20th year in the business, we went from stop to stop and went right to work at each stop. We even had to split up from time to time to keep his customers happy. It was a great time and I was ready to head south myself the next year. I was in for a rude awakening I sat for days at a time not able to buy a job then next times there wasnt enough machines to go around. The only thing what really saved me was I got three jobs back what my Grandfather and Father had from 16 years ago which was a plus. Since then I have sucessfully got a decent route established from Southern Oklahoma to back home and cut a fair amount of wheat acres in the 8 week period. It is a tough business what is very competitive, you often miss jobs by 1hr or a half a day and it gets frusterating. Im not a whole lot older then you are im at 25 and I remember when i was your age the harvest it was a good time, and when you are born into it and are raised around it is hard to give it up and pursue something like a indoor job. I guess if you like the harvest as much as I do I would say go for it, there isnt a whole lot of the young generation interested in this line of work anymore and we need people to keep carring it on.The hired help has its ups and downs but that will always be there nothing you can do about it. I run three combines 4 trucks and a grain kart, when I head south I only take two machines and 3 trucks I dont have enough acres to justify all three and getting help is also an issue. I run all three machines at home and it works out well. I guess all I can say is good luck and it is a great job for the freedom the oppritunity to see the country and become very good friends with the people you cut for and the other harvesters you end up around from year to year. like Mr. Gorden he is a great guy who really understands the concept of those axial flow harvesters I look forward to running into him every year and to see all the new ideas he has come up with...

Green_Reaper

Cutter....I think if the custom harvesting business ever fails you you would have no trouble

JFarms

This is my families 40th year of harvest. We run 8 machines from Southern Okla. to Northern MN and even have a couple machines up by Edmonton, Alberta right now. At the peak this summer we had 13 hired men all but 3 being of college age going for Ag related classes. Wheat harvest is when we need the majority of the help because fall harvest mostly consists of our own crop. I stay home and tend to the farming with a full time hired man giving us extra help at home for harvest. When we do send the machines on the road in the fall the farmers do most of the trucking only requiring us to have combine operators. The reason I tell you this is so you understand why we need 13 hired men in the summer and only 4 or 5 in the fall. This summer we had hired men from Iowa, Nebraska, Montana, and Minnesota. In the past we've had them from pretty much every state in the Midwest. If you are at all interested in going on the 2001 harvest please feel free to E-mail me at jfarms@gctel.com. JFarms

DEERE_BOY

RED_GREEN I am from Nebraska. Tell me of any crews that hire employees just for the summer only that opperate out of Nebraska.