Combines 9860

wheatman

Have been running a 9860 against 2 9760's and a 9750. The 9860 will run average 3 a_hour more than the 9760's and 4.5 a_hour more than the 9750. The new cleaning system is alot better than the 50 series. less returns and cleaner sample. The 9860 don't burn anymore fuel than the others either. The 9860 just run's smooth and consistant through the field, even in tough conditions. The only thing restricting the combine is the feeder house in some conditions. Have been harvesting alot of 50 bushel wheat. When running a 12 hour day it will do 36 acres more a day if your making 22 dollars acres your doing about $800 dollars more in one day.

9880sts

Here in Europe we run the 9880 with 465 hp it is simular to the 96 and 9750 just bigger drives. the shoes are the same and we run up to 65 tons trouhput a hour in weat and around 80 tons in corn.

aussie

I cannot help you Allan but I am interested in how guys got on in wheat.We have just bought one and would be interested in any comments on settings,reliability,capacity and generally whether they are worth the extra money. I hope soIJ

Rooster

Thanks for the info Pigman! I would just love to walk the fields behind where you operated that 9860 in, to a point that it would out perform a lexion 480. I bet the crows are just foundered (10-15 kernals _ sq. ft. just to say you out performed a 480 - that's a lot of hog food!)! To bad you will have _ had a killing frost to prevent the STS droppings from ever germinating. You see, down here in KY, STS droppings have a tendency to hit growth stage V10 before a killing frost takes them out. I have no doubt you have some capcity in that machine, but to say it out does the 480 is simply coffee shop talk (I still think you want another lexion). There is no doubt that the rotor and grain handling systems of the STS are highly competitive to all other "Axial" type combines, but its cleaning system has sure left alot to be desired since the lauch of the 50 series. About as much as the chincy feederhouse drive _ reverse gearbox, that darn thing was a problem even on the 20 series combines and to just make a slightly biggers solves its problemsIJ lexion sure has that concept whooped! Well, good luck with your new 9860. Be sure to order from your dealer a new adjustable pre-chaffer, it helps out a bit. On second thought, don't, it will only put more to the bottom sieve earlier causing the upper sieve to purge and you're right back where you started, out performing a 480. I bet I could take your old 480 in the same field as your 9860 and... Good corn fed crows for eatn'

Big_Green

Show us some pics, I am doubting you now. Course i guess you can get any pics to show to us.

John_W

Gee, thanks for sharing and glad your happy. However, I think your comparing apples to oranges, as the old saying goes, by comparing an older smaller Cat to Deere current best effort.

TwinSilvers

I'm "leaning" towards buying a CAT if they ever sell them in Ontario, but, aren't the 480 and 9860 both comparable in horsepower and classificationIJ Does a 580 have much more capacity than a 480IJ I'm thinking that a 560 should easily keep-up with my Deere 9610 of yester-year! Am I wrong to assume thisIJ

D_Mayes

Just wondering, why did you trade it offIJ How many hoursIJ Never have understood why people trade off an almost new machine unless it has problems.

dakota

On the lexion website the 580 is shown with a narrower cylinder and body than the "old" 480. That is quite a gamble trying to get the same or even more capacity out of a physically smaller combine.