Combines cat vs john deere

Argwil

I don't think anyone can make an argument that any one machine is better overall than another. All brands of combines have their perks, as well as their drawbacks. I think any of the major manufacturers have an excellent combine. One thing you should consider is support. I think nationwide, no one can argue that the JD dealer system is the best. It all comes down to your area though. Some of the JD dealers are weak, some of the CNH, Cat, etc. dealers are spectacular. Go for the dealer with the best support that will treat you the best. That is what will make your choice work best for you.

Spark_Plug

Well 82 grease zerks ehIJ Well heres my $.02 on that. First of all, Id much rather grease 82 different fittings, than to have those Piece of $h!t sealed bearings that you get to tear half the combine apart and spend a day doing it. Those things are the worst, and when they go tits up, thats where the fun starts. Id much rather climb up and squeeze a handle a few times and have it done with than to tear things apart to replace a bearing. When a greaseable bearing is kept up, then they will give many many years of good service. And second of all folks, if your too dang lazy to walk around and do regular maintenance with a grease gun, then you shouldnt be in the business, because that is what is all about. And that is half the problem with machinery failure, and that is there is not maintenance program. You cant just expect a machine to go and go and go without some maintenance along the way. Im not bashing neither brand, nor taking up for either side. But many people will agree with me, and i know some wont, but that if greasing and maintenance is to tough a job for you, then what the heck are you are you doing in the buisnessIJIJIJ All breeds have their faults, and im sure that Deere has many inconvenient components too. You guys can have the color war all you want, but im just simply saying that for one machine brands fault, there are about 2 more on the other brand. Wine about the grease zerks all you want, but that is definatly the way to go. I will give Cat_Claas credit that the grease zerks is the way to go. I have seen one too many sealed bearings go bad, and when you have to spend a nice sunny day, to replace them, when you should be out harvesting, its worth the time to walk around with a grease gun. And why spend a bunch of time on them doing them all at onceIJIJ Walk around and put 5 or 6 pumps in each about every two days and that will be plenty suficient. Around here, we arent blessed enough to own new equipment. Our grease guns weigh their weight out in gold. And to prove it, our neighbor runs an old Ford combine, made by Oliver, from the 50's or 60's and he always kept it GREASED and shed kept. And that thing runs today like a champ, you hear a bearing squeal on that thing and ill kiss your @$$. I know there is quite a difference between that and a 9750 or a 480. But it still proves a point: Maintenance pays off. Well i know this was long, but i figure a few people will agree with me from where im coming from. You can have your 40 grease zerks on the Deeres, but when your in the shop, changing bearings, thats when the Claas guys will be zooming by in the field. Andif i could afford a new combine, id make sure that the number of sealed bearings would be limited. So i think i will side with the Cat guys on this one. like i said before, if your two lazy to grease your combine, then get out of the business, because its folks like you that make it tough for everyone. Im sorry if i upset anyone, and please dont take it personally, its just my thoughts. But if anyone agrees with me, then post your thoughts on it to. Have a good day, and please, safety first. Tyler in PA

Goober

Hey 9750STS On an earlier post you said you were 15 years old. Where in the heck are you going to find $250,000 US to buy either one of these machinesIJ Oh I forgot, the US government subsidises the heck out of their farmers but belly aches when any other country tries to.

CatMan2

I guess that you haven't seen any of the crop study reports comparing the Cat's to the JD and CNH. The Cat's damages were way less than the others, as were the losses. The 82 daily grease points on the cat is wrong. It should be around 25, not counting the heads, but most are in banks, so they are easy to locate. I think there are a lot of machines that need to have a ladder that you can move to where it is needed. Have you ever been around a cat and used the ladderIJ It is very handy.