Combines cylinder bars

brassring

Not sure about a N series but I run a '98 R-52. last yr. I removed every other row of bars all the way across and every other wire in the seperator area. also installed a rasp bar in the belly of the seperator area, it work good in corn and good in dry beans but any green stems or raggy beans it didn't do too good. This yr. I reinstalled the bars in the threshing area and left out every other row in the seperating area and extended the bars every other row just like the picture in the tips section. also the high low setup is used by some haven't even started harvest yet so I don't know what to expect I know I didn't help much but different setups work diferently. experiment thats what I'm going to do to get the results I want.wish I could say I was DONE! good luck Bob

pbutler

Chrome will last a lot longer-but can cause a lot of grain damage at first till they wear down a little-at least in corn.

joe

if you have rocks, put the black ones in. crome are good but rocks will wreck them before they wear out.

deeredriver

Get boronized, they last longer then chrome and are as easy on then grain as regular steel... best bang for your buck!

greenstrat

I have shoved a lot of metallic stuff through chrome bars and never saw that it "wrecked" anything worse than the black bars which wear out like a cheap set of tires. Get the chrome. gs

joe

crome bars, being harder tend to crack, chip, and break easier than a black bar which tends to just bend. It is hard to compare the two when no two rocks hits or foriegn objects damage things the same way, but after you see engough sets and how they last and in what condition, I can then make my recomendations.

greenstrat

I have been using chrome bars since about 1982. I have never yet cracked, chipped, or broken any but have bent several real nicely. I am on my fifth set in three different machines. This is my recommendation: use chrome. Black bars wear just about like chocolate. gs

F_armer

I'm with greenstrat, I've never cracked or chipped a chrome bar but I have bent them a bit. Go with chrome

joe

I have replaced many broken, cracked and chipped crome bars over the years. I suppose it all depends on how many rocks you pickup. With many edible beans in my area, rocks are a big deal. One local guy destroyed 3 feeder chains during corn last fall. running his chopping cornhead really low, and picking up rocks. Of all the combines around, I think only 1 or 2 run crome bars, and I think they have land with little or no rock, and more grains than beans. But, whatever works best for you in your area , and saves you money, is the way to go.

greenstrat

If you can pick up a rock large enough to wreck your feeder chain, and not get stuck in the row unit, which means it would be too large for the chains to pull in (interesting dichotomy),I would suggest a rockpicker. They make some fine ones, and work well. I will keep on using the hardest bar I can get. gs