Combines 8780 vs 8780 xp

riceman

horsepower. different hydro handle. There might be a few other things. We have an 8780 thats been turned up to xp settings and have had no problems.

NDJ

The XP's all have the constant speed rotor drive which eliminates the rotor variation when lugging the engine. The 2001 and newer XP's have a two speed rotor drive. Those are the two major differences other than more HP in the XP's.

dav11

There are differences between them, depending on what year not so much as models, there are differences between 97 model 8780s and 98 and newer, there are differences between xps from 2000 to 2001, i think that was last year they were made, the 2001 xp also has the same front beater that feeds crop into rotor that 9690 has, that is the one you want, allthe earlier 8780s had a beater with 2 rows of claws and 2 rows of paddles offset from each other, it was noisy in corn and it chops up the cobs into such small pieces that it tends to plug up sieves, the 2001 models had a spiral type beater, all the 8780xps had the QSC 8.3 Cummins,it is my understanding that it is a better version than the earlier ones, the earlier 8.3s Cummins had a lot of head problems with, depending on year it was built- there are as many as 7 different head gaskets for them.

riceman

I forgot about the beater. The 8780 we have now was updated with the new style. I didn't know about the 2 speed rotor in the XP. I've never ran a XP. We now have a 9790. Cummins is coming out this Friday to up the horses on it.

Pa__Harvester

Riceman, If I recall correctly you traded out of green just a year or two agoIJ How do you like the Massey by nowIJ How many hours have you run itIJ Any problem or weak spotsIJ (by your post I assumed horsepower was a little short) I've never even sat in a Massey cab, but what I'm reading I wonder if I should maybe look at one next time I update. Thanks.

cvf

I run a Challenger 660 (same as MF 9690) only weak spot we found was the front beater. Outside vanes would break loose. New ones have a gusset on the outside ones like on the center ones, should solve the problem. I'm waiting for an updated one to come in so my cat dealer can put it in, covered by warrenty. That was the only problem we had with the machine, simple to adjust and work on. Challenger runs Cat motor more hp then Cummins, or so they tell me, we never ran short.

riceman

For us, its way better than the STS. As you know it has far less moving parts, belts, chains, right angle gearboxes and such. We had a bearing go out in the 2 speed rotor gearbox. It went in the low side. I changed to high and kept cutting. We went back to finish up a little corn and changed into low again. Made 1 round and she gave up. Dealer had it going by noon the next day. I live about 90 or 100 miles from my dealer. I haven't gone up there all year for parts. I get my SCH header parts from the Deere dealer. We had a little problem with the cross auger in the tank. In rice it would choke up where the cross auger goes into the unloader auger. It pushed the cross auger towards the right of the machine and broke the cast iron bearing holder. We called the dealer and the OWNER of the dealership came himself to fix it...on a Saturday afternoon. We installed cover shields over part of the auger in the tank to keep it from overloading the unload auger. There supposed to be used in rice only but I still have them in there. It seems to work good so far. The a_c compressor blew a seal during early bean harvest. Actually so far thats been the only real downtime this season. Yes it needs more horses. About 40 or 50 would do miracles. I think it has more to do with the constant rotor speed than anything. It will not budge from its setting unless it gets nearly choked. It might move 40 rpm at the most. But the engine will lug down to 1900 or 1800 rpm. Me and the cummins man are gonna go over it real good and see what kind of power it can make. QSl9 can put out 365hp. I need at least that much because now its a muddy mess here. Nobody here has cut anything in over 2 months with the exception of 4 or 5 days here and there. I could spend hours downing the STS. Its cheap built,has lots and lots of extra junk on it that it doesn't need. Its poorly designed. The front beater is the biggest joke in agriculture today. Over the 2 years we had that dog, I probably spent 50 hours digging and pulling crop out of it. Throat chain would not stay straight. Header height control was crazy, and the contour master never worked right. A friend just traded his 9750STS in because he was tired of the front beater choking up. Guess what combine he is going to get to replace itIJ A 9760 STS. If he was unhappy with his old machine...why replace it with a newer version of the old machineIJ Beats me. Any more questions just ask me

silver_shoes

Glad to see your guys positive comments about the machines. Been kinda waiting around to see if they worked as simply as they look. I ran one, I liked it alot. Hope they keep rockn for you

gpd

I'm a cutom harvester. Have been running John Deere conventionals for years. Not willing to go to STS because of repair issues and other problems with STS.Now we hear JD will discontinue their walker machines after 2006.I think if we continue in this business we will have to change colors.Have been thinking lately about a Massey or Gleaner.Thanks to all who post on this page.Its been very imformative for me.

Harvester

As a former cutter, let me say that you will never regret running either a Massey or a Gleaner. The guys who support the run from AGCO are the best there is, not to mention the combines simply work, day in, day out.