Combines 9500 to a 9660

dakota

Would a rigid head work on your groundIJ I am thinking of a 36' MacDon. They even have a half way flexible 36' now. Draper heads just feed soooo much better than auger heads do. If you think you can afford the new combine, the first year under warranty is sure nice. I have seen a guy putting the lexion spout on his Deere. That gives you about 2 more feet, that you will need, if this Hydraflex is not offset.

Seen_the_Green_light

Dakota, No a MacDon header is not even and option for me a neighbor has a 36' on a Cat and after they get done combining I could go back in on some of there unlevel ground and probally get another 2-3 bushels per acres and also the custome combing I do is for some pretty fussy people the one start complaing if I go over 4mph he says the head doesn't flex fast enough but he pays good and picks his rocks so it makes it worth it but what he doen't know doesn't hurt him either I pick up the speed when he isn't around and he can never tell the difference also I know what kinda of spout you are talking about a friend of mine put one on a 9750 and now has about 5' between a 30' head and the grain cart so I figure I would still have almost 3' which is more room that I have now with my 25' because I only have the 17' auger on my combine.

beh

Just a couple things i believe you needa consider: 25oo-2800 acres is a lot work, i think that goal may be a little lofty, because combine capacity is not the only thing to be considered. when you make increase like htat you will need more help and more hauling capacity, plus it is hard to keep alot of customers happy if you are bouncing around from one to another, and one big customer is going to want more than one machine. also, depending on where you are at, that bigger machine with a bigger head is goin to be alot clubsier for turning, like i said in some places that is more of a problem than in others. with that being said, having a new machine would really nice! warranty and knowing wuat you have is a great. also, i know that deere flex head is amazing! good luck to you and i hope this helps. brad

greenman

I have a 9860 with a 35 foot hydroflex bean platform and had exellent results after factory engineers came out and did a computer update that controls the head. Before they cam out, i was only abled to cut about 4 mph because the head was too sensetive and cutting too high. Also, our dealer's mechanic demo'd 2 9660's with 30 foot hydroflex heads. He told me that they were also out of adjustment. That is why Deere only makes a few of these machines, to fine tune them and look for weak areas. I also cut in the same field as a 9610 with a new full finger 30 foot non hydroflex platform. The beans were in exellent condition to combine. I was traveling 7 mph and was cutting closer and doing a better job. like you say, I would rather travel slower but the engineers told me they want me to put this machine to the test. What i am thinking is you should take another look. The question about having a 36 foot head on a 9660, is my thinking that you will not have enough power. A 96 has 70 horse less than a 97, and as you know green stem beams take alot more power than combining corn. We have had green stem beans the last several years but the same thought went through my head also because it does have the same cleaning area. I hope this helps. I am from the north central United States.

dakota

Sounds good. I hope your fussy customer doesn't get on this site here too much. lOl You can go through a lot of hoops, if your customers are willing to pay for the extra effort. But these customers are rare. We're planing on conventional JD's with 36' MacDon's for next year. But we seldom do beans.

r72

what is wrong with the cats, that you are switching back to the deere's

greenstrat

I will go out on a limb, and will be happy to be proven wrong.. 7 mph and doing a "better" job than a slower narrower platformIJ Nice try, your sales manager will be proud of you. 1.5" cut was tried before. Everyone I know has junked theirs for a good reason. GS

greenman

Greenstart: What I mean by doing a better job is it was cutting closer than the 30F foot head. And no I do not work for John Deere or trying to sell a head. I am really impressed with this head, you cannot believe the job it does. You have to see if for yourself. I know it sounds like I am exaggerating but I am not.

TJ

There are two sides of the 600 series header argument. Those that have seen it work, and those who haven't. I would not believe what they told me, and then I was able to operate it for two hours. I was a believer. It will do what they say. There has been no exaggeration. I just wish I could afford one.