Combines adjusting Precleaner for STS 60 series

Roy

loewen Mfg makes an adjustable pre-cleaner for your machine. Give them a try.

Rod

JD also make an adjustable pre-cleaner. It is fitted to the 9880 STS - which is the same internal dimentions as all the 50 and 60 series machines - it is the European version with 450hp and a large capacity chopper. I eventually got an adjustable pre-cleaner in my 9650 STS from JD and the differance is indescribable, especially in canola, wheat, rice, barley etc. etc. The fixed pre-cleaner which is set at 25mm is for corn. It works well in corn but that's it.

Farmerman

I am very interested in hearing more about the adjustable precleaner and what kind of improvements you are getting. We also run a 9650 STS and the sieve is usually the limiting factor. How much did it cost from JDIJ What are crop conditions like in your areaIJ

Rod

An adjustable pre-cleaner enables you the flexibility to adjust to different crops and conditions. In rice it made the differance between a mediocre sample with often trash levels above 3% to a very clean sample with trash level under 1%. Rice growers in Australia are docked if trash levels exceed 1.5%. In canola you can actually see clean canola in the bin instead of something resembling a round bale of canola that has gone through a tub grinder and put in the grain tank. Speed is increased and grain loss is reduced in canola. It makes a very clean sample in barley even in frosted or drought affected barley such as we had last year. The load (trash) on the bottom seive is greatly reduced therefore reducing returns loading and rotor loading. If you continually have material going "around and around" in the machine and not being separated properly initially, then your going to have continual overloading, poor capacity, unaceptable grain loss and poor grain sample. An adjustable pre-cleaner gives you options that can fix problems - under the assumption that you have everything else set and working properly. As I said in the previous posting, the fixed pre-cleaner is designed for corn and it is acceptable for corn - but that's it.

twinscrew

Rod, what were your settings in rice with the precleaner closed more (I assume)IJ How much do you close itIJ I'm running the fan about 950 rpm on my 9660 and still get a bit more trash in the sample than I'd like. It's acceptable, but I'd like to get it better. I dry my own and it is easier to dry when it's cleaner. Guess I'll have to get the adj precleaner. Has anyone priced the aftermarket cleanerIJ

Rod

I close the pre-cleaner down to 10mm in rice. Upon installation, it's a good idea to close the pre-cleaner right down and then open it to 10mm, counting the turns as you go. Do the same for a corn setting say 18mm or 20mm - whichever you decide is best for your machine. Make sure you write them down somewhere otherwise you will forget next time you need to change it. As you would know, the 60 series has a larger (slower RPM - higher capacity) fan than the 50 series so my 9650 fan runs around 1050-1100 in rice. You've hit the nail right on the head when you talk about drying rice. Why dry down extra unwanted trash when you don't have toIJ It's an unecessary and complete waste of resources.

Ken

nrld - email me at clapodie@yahoo.ca - may be able to help you out on adjustable precleaner.

Farmerman

Our grain samples in cereals and canola have been acceptable with the non-adjustable pre-cleaner in our 9650 STS(not as good as our 9600 or 9610 were). How much extra capacity are you getting with the adjustable pre-cleanerIJ Enough to justify putting it in a presume. Does it bolt right in, or did you have to do some modifyingIJ

Rod

Just bolts straight in. You need to cut back the middle divider (that bolts on top of the top seive) at an angle so you have enough room to use the adjusting rod for the pre-cleaner. All this comes in the intructions with the pre-cleaner.