Combines Cummins problems

Tom_Russell

That is very interesting. Why would one engine get 18% more torque out of the same displacementIJ Did both engines have turbosIJ Tom in MN

sebas

The deutz is turbocharged and threr's another version of this engine with tubo + intercooler that gives 300 kw at 2100 rpm and 1840 Nm of troque at 1300 rpm

Ed_Boysun

The largest configuration of the M11 available in Europe specs at 298 Kw @ 2100 RPM and 1910 Nm @ 1300 RPM

Dan

I agree Tom. I have also wondered where that came from that a inline six will out do a V8. Maybe the first V8s had a problem and that is where the reputation come from. Maybe they are talking gas burners. I know AGCO uses a Deutz with same bore and stroke in a inline 6 and V8. They both produce similiar torque for the CID and that torque is set by what the fuel pump puts into it. I would think a V8 would be some better at maintaining the torque for you have 4 cylinders firing every round of the crankshaft thus there is less time that the flywheel has to help keep crank turning. I think an equal number of cylinders opposed and or radial cylinder engine would be better yet but they would take up even more room in a combine or tractor chassis. All I can say is with all the machines I've dynoed I find the V8 and I6 to put out whatever torque the fuel pump is set to. Same with torque rise for it will be whatever the pump is set to. In about 1994 Gleaner increased it's acceptable torque rise range whether you had an inline Cummins or V8 Deutz.

John

sebas, Please note that the Cummins is still at a "none operating range", they operate at normally within a range of 1800 to 2200 rpm where the turbo is effective. The Cummins in my pickup doesn't start to work until I hit about 1600 rpm. Put the V configuration on a load and an in-line on the exact same load and the V "WIll BE" the first to drop on the tach. If you go to college for this stuff like I did over 25 yrs ago, you might understand why the V configuration loses that torque. An in-line is only working in 2 directions as is a radial engine and a V is working in 4 directions, that is where the torque loss comes in.

Dan

I believe it would be as simple as the governer on the Deutz is telling the pump to give the cylinders more fuel to maintain that RPM. Now if they gave the Cummins enough fuel to maintain the same torque at that RPM and then checked out the fuel use we may find out which one could develop that torque the easiest. After running some more tests at various RPMs within the common working range a guy would be partway to which engine would be best for your application. Give the losing manufacture a chance to tweak around some varibles on the engine and the tables may turn. Then consider how much room a liquid cooled engine would take up when installed with radiator or how much room a V8 would take up or how much weight would be added to machine when installed ready to perform. Enough babbling for now. Take care.