Combines diference between rotary and conventional

Deerebines

Rotory: threshing mechanism lies parallel with the machine. Conventional: Threshing mechanism lies perpendicular to the machine. This is unless you are talking a gleaner As to which is the best is controversial and I'm not even about to open that can of worms.

John_W

Go to the combine section of www.deere.com and you can find some of the the pros and cons of the rotary, cylinder_rotary separator and cylinder_walker machines that Deere sells now.

Illinois_Gleaner

Conventional= Night Rotary = Day Which would you rather run inIJIJ

Deerebines

You must not harvest wheat because that statement will not hold true.

Illinois_Gleaner

Can't afford to raise wheat. The last time I raised wheat(1999) it made 80 bu to the acre and I sold it off the combine for 1.92. Something don't add up when you figure your expenses in. And on a normal year our wheat would make in the 50 to 60 bu. range. Illinois Gleaner

JHEnt

The best definition would be: Rotary- The crop material must pass around the circumfrence of the threshing mechanism. In other words it must work all the way around the "rotor" in order to move through the machine. The front section of the rotor does the agressive threshing while the rear section (without rasp bars) is supposed to spin the grain out. Conventional- the crop passes between a concave and a cylinder. The cylinder beats the crop against bars on the concave to thresh. The crop typicaly then passes onto straw walkers which shake the grain out of the crop mat. Although many years ago Class made a combine which was just a long bunch of cylinders and concaves and had no walkers in it. As far as which is the best- well that depends on who your talking to. Generally rotary combines will accept more material. However they also produce much more smaller material that the chaffer must separate. Also in wet crop conditions a single rotor combine develops a roping effect. This will prevent separation of the grain and can plug the rotor. This is normally just a problem in northern states and parts of Canada. In a conventional combine the machines limiting factor is the amount of crop mat that can pass through the cylinder area and be threshed. When you go to fast they plug up. On the other hand the limiting factor in most rotarys is the chaffer capacity to separate. A rotary can be pushed so fast that a solid mat will develop across the chaffer which will carry grain out the back. (especially in soybeans) This will carry right over loss sensors at the rear of the chaffer so if the operator is to lazy to get out and dig through the chaff trail he will never know he was lossing grain untill a few weeks later when there are strips of green growing in the field where the combine passed.

Deerebines

Don't know if you irrigate that or not but wheat makes more money in dryland areas than corn. Just don't lay down 100 lbs of fertilizer an acre and don't plant 100 lbs to the acre. Wheat tillers and a bushel an acre is plenty and as for the fertilizer.....that varies between farmers and speculation on what the coming year will bring for rainfall. Why did you sell it off the combine right awayIJ Contracted itIJ "here" we get 30 days free storage that we can watch the markets and analyze our next steps. Only time I've ever seen anyone sell if off the combine was if trying to fill a contract or the bank is breathing down thier back for a payment.

Illinois_Gleaner

I live in Illinois and we don't irragate. The only people left sowing wheat in the area is the people that want the straw. And that is few and far between. Wheat in the area this year was 65 corn 165 and beans 45 to 50. If I would have stored it that year I could have got 2.20 in Dec. So it would even pay for comercial storage. And I needed some money to pay the taxes. Around here everyone calls wheat poverty gass. last few years we grew wheat had lots of problems with test weight and disease. Illinois Gleaner

Deerebines

I would venture to say your annual rainfall is much greater than ours here in Kansas though. If you can raise 165 bu corn you'd probably be put in the nuthouse by your neighbors raising wheat.....I can see your point. We use to be a 21" year avg rainfall area. This was given to me years ago (It might have even been b.s. at the time.....I don't know for certain). I don't know if it's greater or less than now. We are starting to see more dryland corn enter the area but like you....I tried corn whereas you tried the wheat. My dryland corn averaged 22 bushel an acre. My poorest milo has never been below 50. From now on I am a sorghum and wheat operation (cash crop) and those guys in this area growing corn can keep on pretending they are one of the "big boys". I know better. I saw the expense sheet and even if they make 100 bushel corn.....they still are going to make less than I will on 80 bushel milo because of chemical costs and equipment investments.