Combines Harvest update 5 30 00

MARSHAll

Wheat harvest in NE Texas is just getting started good. Wet weather has kept us out of the fields. I have cut a field that avg 70 bu but most is in the upper 50's and lower 60's. My wheat was headed for a record avg yield until freeze damage, rust and hail storm got a hold of it. It is still avg in high 50's with wheat seed (pop out of head) covering the ground. One field has a stand of wheat growing in it already. I plan on double cropping 1_2 with soybeans since the ground has so much moisture. If the rain holds off I might get done first of next week. I have a couple hundred acres to go. I also work off the farm in engineering. I usually take 2 to 3 weeks off a year just for farming. Milo looks good and so do the soybeans. No corn this year.

parttimer

My dad worked for Dresser before the purchase and they moved his job to your place and he retired since it was about 60 mi one way. There was a tax accountant who left here Mitch B. and is now working at Hall. No I AM NOT AN AGGIE - went to Sam Houston in Huntsville. Boy we hit a train wreck last night. We started cutting a field and it was a mix of soft and hard wheat. It was planted as soft. Now we have two trucks and no market. I do not know what we are going to do but I know that the machine is not running and money is wasted. Hope to have something done about it tonight.

parttimer

Yes that is his name - he worked here about 1-1 1_2 years - nice guy. I can not hate the UT to much since my wife is an ex of UT and my sister-in-law is an Aggie - that atleast makes holidays fun especially T-day. They said they did not want any more of that stuff and even the wheat out of the different field that was planted with different seed I guess they are gun shy. I think it will go to Ft. Worth this weekend. This is the part that makes it hard, thank goodness this is not mine. I would be talking with a lawyer and the seed co. Have a great day.

parttimer

My fert is about like WW but we top dressed in the spring and sprayed for broad leaf weeds. Total fert per ac was about $40.

The_Red

We had similar problems last fall with Andersen Grain Terminal in eastern Indiana. They tested each load of soybeans. If they thought they were the Roundup resistance, you took a 20 cent_bushel cut. I felt sorry for our neighbors who bought the Roundup ready because of the premium price you had to pay per bag.

Brimfarms

The wheat harvest is almost over in Northern louisiana. Probally complete in a week. The yields here have been pretty good where the wheat didnt drown out with a really big rain that we got right after heading. The best I cut was a 35ac. field that adv. 78bu_ac. most has been in the mid to upper 50's though. the worst was 42 on a gumbo field. Hope everyone has a great crop and good harvest...

rf

The difference is the Nh3 We put 150 lbs 20-20-10 plus zn and sulpher. We top dressed with 120 lbs of liquid nitrogen. We don't have as much N as you do. Our problem with Hh3 is we are in and around populated areas and handling the nh3 is a problem. I think rust and rye grass hurt our yields. I think I did not fertlize enough. I also like wheat after corn as opposed to wheat after milo. I think I will plant more corn next year because the follow crop does better. Since we have milo this year I will fertlize heavier next year behind this years milo. Our milo look great it is starting to boot and head should start appearing next week. We are also going to get some rain over the weekend and mid 80 temps next week so that will help. I am storing my non seed wheat and will sell the non seed after I pop it. The interesting thing about the POP. The county where we took the non seed wheat, is 32 cents lower on the POP than the county where we are taking the seed for cleaning and bagging which is 56 cents.