Combines High speed chaff spreader

SDman

You can scroll WAYYYY down this page to a post I titled "Factory Chaff Spreader Performance Tips" wrote back in March of last year. The part ns(lefts and rights are different ns) are there. However, I think since then Case has a kit with all 6 blades and the hardware available. I'll try to find it for you.

Farm_Kid

SDman, I took a look at your post from last March and found the part numbers. Will this work for a '90 model 1680IJ It's a later model with the the long shoe, if that makes a difference. Does the kit come with the deflector and instructions on how to mount itIJ Any idea on the priceIJ Thanks for all of your input on this website. It really is helpful.

SDman

Farm Kid, these spreader bats will fit only the larger spreader discs used with the "Factory Chaff Spreader Option". There is a kit to mount that to any long Seive combine, but the last I knew that kit was $1000 and that was several years ago. The deflector is not in any kit(you probably could make one easy enough, its just a blade-looking piece of tin that helps direct straw to the lH spreader for more even spreading). Have you installed the smaller ID pulley listed there for the spreader driveIJ That may help some. Sorry, I still haven't got the partns for the whole kits that have the tall spreader bats instead of buying them individually.

SDman

Bob, the kit n for a 1666 with the factory chaff spreader attachment is B94862 for the tall paddle attachment. Should include the 6 tall bats, the hardware to attach it. Hope this helps.

Farm_Kid

SDman, This weekend I went up to a large IH dealer with a bunch of machines on the lot to see what the "Chaff Spreader Option" looks like. Now I understand what your talking about. Our 1680 has the traditional Straw Spreader with smaller spinners and overlapping rubber paddles. We already have a Vittetoe chaff spreader on the machine, so what we really need is a better straw spreader. We do not have the chopper option, but are currently installing the Estes "Disrupter" lugs at the very back of the rotor to hopefully chop the straw a little. I could only find the vertical deflector in machines with a chopper, and it was always pointing nearly straight down. Some of the older machines without choppers had an up-side-down V-shaped deflector in the center, but I found one machine that looked like this style deflector had been removed. Do you know what, if any, deflector would work best for a machine without a chopperIJ I'm considering buying the smaller pulley and the larger, solid-bottom spinners that come with the chaff spreader option to mount in place of the paddle spinners. I'll put 3 taller bats on each spinner and set it to the aggressive setting. With that, will I be able to spread wheat straw 25 feetIJ If not, can I get there by cutting some of the rubber curtain offIJ Do you think I could get an even distribution with this setupIJ Checking on prices, the high speed pulley and spacer come to less than $60, but with the new spinners, the total is over $600. (That was based on something called "Complete Spreader Assemblies for 1688 and 2188, PN B94101. My dealer said the info was a little vague.) It would be nice to be confident before spending that much money! As always, thanks so much for taking the time to help us out on this site.

SDman

FarmKid, the deflector was introduced on '97 model machines, whether they are chopper or beater equipped. While they look AlMOST straight down, they are angled slightly to throw more straw to the lH spinner. Axial-Flows were known for having heavy discharge to the RH spinner and this was designed to alleviate that by diverting more straw to the lH spinner. Earlier models were equipped with the rubber "V" that was designed to eliminate the middle strip between the spreaders that Axial-Flows were also known for and to divide the straw equally between the spinners, however it was soon realized that the straw coming off the chopper or beater was not evenly distrubuted to the rear hood of the combine-hence the need for the deflector.