Combines my 1440 didn t burn yet

Ohio__Steve

For my 2 cents rent one and make sure you get the crop and then you'll have time to find a good combine and a good deal. Better yet if you can rent one of the prospects and get a good field trial, with no strings...Happy hunting!

nebraska_farmer

well it's been a busy couple of days!! drove to all the dealers cept one to look at combines i found on the net. looked at 1440's, 1640's, 1460's, and 1660's. price ranges of $2000.00 to $29,500.00. found what appeared to be a good 1460. bought it, drove it home at 12.5 mph!! dang my 1440 went faster than this thing!! got home just after dark, put the corn head on and went straight to the field. went most of all night. it ran perfect!! went in and got some sleep, went back out at 7:30 am, about noon 2 rows quit on my corn head. can't see why so it must be internal. combined until it started raining. so i think i'll just go buy another 6-30 CH tomarrow. merry x-mas to me!! only thing that kind of puzzes me..is i can't find the shift lever that changes the rotor drive to high_low. i did observe a few kernal leaks in a few places, not going to worry about that right now, they aren't bad. another winter project. i just wanna get done!!

cabbageman

what size tires do you haveIJ the 34 x 30's will be slower than the other sizes. go to the right side of the machine by the return elevators and look up. the 2 speed lever sticks out horizontally just to the right of the radiator.

nebraska_farmer

thanks cabbageman!..i didn't even think about the tire size, i'll check that. also i looked all over the side of the combine, for the rotor lever and unless it's broke off or taken out...it ain't there!! this is an older machine, maybe they put it somewhere else, i don't have a book for it yet.

840rfd1

I have an 80 model 1460 and the rotor two speed lever is hanging out the side just in front of the radiator. Also when I got my machine it would run only 12 mph in high. After reading a post on here my a guy named rotoron, I checked the hyrdo stick linkage at the pump and found considerable wear in the bracket and pump feed arm. The arm from the pump sets in the arm that the cable attaches to like the top of an H. Mine was worn on the forward side. I removed and built it up with a welder and ground it to fit without any slack. How I can do 17 mph on level road. P.S. My 1460 only has 2150 hours, I think the pump arm pulses as it runs causing the early wear.