Combines New CombinesIJIJ

T__langan

I was told by a self-proclaimed Deere "expert" that removing the rotor from an STS is approx. a six hour ordeal. The feederhouse must be removed (it comes out the front),and all the tines have to be removed from the rotor to get the rear half out through the smaller diameter front half of cage. Replacment is in reverse order. So you are looking at about 12 hours of downtime just to remove and replace the rotor - and that's not even figuring doing repairs, etc to the rotor itself. Now, it was told this last fall, and it MAY just be rumor, that the STS rock trap only is good for about 20% of the rocks entering the machine. It was also told that the rock trap problems were the reason it took so long to intro the rotary and Deere finally decided to just market it the way it is to counter CAT's combine. Could all just be rumor - I don't know. I haven't even seen one in person yet. As for any new Gleaners, I'd like to see AGCO incorporate the extended helicals, cylinder bars to discharge, helical over feeder inlet into a new P4 processor Series III model designation. Perhaps some refinements to the cabs - NOT TO THE HYDRO HANDlE THOUGH!!! We are farmers, not fighter jet pilots! Perhaps jet pilots wouldn't need "Smart bombs" if they had a simple control stick with buttons located in common sense places! Then, start working on the split-flow P5 processor and that would be worthy of an entirely new letter designation - smallest being a class VI and up to a class IX. I can see them now - S60, S70, S80, S90. ("S" for "Split-flow", of course!) So keep those old reverse bars, they will come in handy for the right side of the split-flow processor! Tom langan

johnboy

We're still here tom. Still waiting for it to stop raining every few days to harvest chick peas, it's been five weeks now.Yes the gleaner cab needs updating perhaps a sleeper bunk option,( for you diehard gleaner fans) No for the price the R72 is in Australia you just about have to sleep with them to pay for it. john

Tom

Hey Tom, Maybe the Gleaner Talk regulars are still in their bunkers waiting for the big bang that didnt happen. They will show up when food runs out. Tom Russell

Kurt

Will the 2000 gleaners have an "in-cab" concave adjustmentIJ If they do, have the made a kit to fit it on any of the older models yetIJ And what is it going to costIJ

oldman

We have a 2000 r72 coming and it has the adjustable concave from the cab option. I forgot what thee list was, seems like $600-800. It wasn't to important to us but couldn't get our dealer to budge on price so finally got him to throw that in. New cornheads are suppose to be plastic snouts too.

johnboy

I think i would prefer a more comfatable seat to in-cab concave adj. I'm not happy till i look behind the darlings after i change the concave settings.A little adj + or - can up the seeding rates a lot John

Brian

I met a custom cutter at an auction this past summer who claimed that he runs prototypes for Gleaner. So naturally I bombarded him with questions. He was VERY tight liped but did eventually say that Gleaner has a new machine in the works and yes they will have at least one that is bigger than an R72. He too felt that the market would have to be better before they would introduce them.P.S. If he was pulling my leg he did a good job because the reponses he gave me to questions about AGCO and Gleaners lead me to beleive him.

T__langan

The C62's have in-cab concave adjustment - don't know if it's standard equipment or optional. Post below is correct - it will be offered on the 2000 models too. It uses an electric actuator like what is used on the reel fore_aft and the ladder lifts to adjust the concave in place of the threaded rod and ratchet wrench we have all come to hate (at least me!). Then, there is a cable that runs up the right side of the combine to the front of the hopper that has a scale on it - you look out the right cab window, press a button, and adjust acording to that scale. I also agree with post below about getting out to look - but I am also tired of that ratchet system - they are extremely stiff and those ratchets must have been found in Cracker Jack boxes. We have had to replace three of them with better quality ratchets we bought from a hardware store. Tom langan