Combines off topic mxm 120

running_red

there is a way to fine tune the shifting better than the standard calibration, have the dealer punch it up on the knowlege search on CIH assist and there is page on it that should help you but you should know it will always shift rougher in those gears because it is switching 3 clutches instead of 2.as to comment on the rest of the tractor we have sold NH and CIH together since about 1990 and the MXM's will do jsut fine, the horrible electrical problem that some people talk about are fixed with updated software, and the problems are very minor such as the viscous fan. we have sold 4 MXMS and have had very little problems, only the usuall small bugs you get from any new tractor. we have sold alot of NH TM's and the older series such as 8160's and they all have prooven to be reliable tractors with some of the hours reaching 8000 with very little problems and almost all of them are loader tractors.the only thing i don't like as well on the MXM as the MX's is the cab and from what i hear they are going to come out with bigger cabs fairly soon.i think the reason most red people say they are junk is because no matter how much red paint you put on them they still no deep inside they are driving a NH tractor but that has never bothered me.

running_red

the jacking up of the cab on the MX an TG is no big deal, in 30 minutes you got all kinds of room, and the new series MX and TGs have pulse with modulating solinoids on them. even if you think the older ones are too compicated for their own good they sure dont seem to give many troubles.

jake

I appreciate everyones thoughts on the topic. I am not sure after all the information if I will purchase the new tractor. Maybe give it another year.

JHEnt

That depends. They have had a run of poor quality feeder tubes not long ago. The company did what they should have and recalled the tubes but the job of replacing them is not as quick and easy as it may sound. Also I did have one that, although I worked the screws evenly all around, put just enough twist on the front lower cab tube to shatter the front windshield after sitting for about an hour. I guess my biggest dislike of them is the lack of servicablity designed into the tractor. This whole line of posts started with MXM_TM and I just have to say in the short time NH has been selling the TG we have had alot more troubles with them than we have with any of the older Ford or Fiat design powershifts with the exception of the 1st 2 or so years of the Ford 40 series. I was told also that they were supposed to change over the TG_MX trans to PWM solinoids but they are still using a dump solinoid to modulate the clutch packs with the clutch pedal movement. Montanafarmboys post saying that opnions should be left to those who run them and not to "salesmen" as he called me just set me off alittle bit. I have never meant to say that it is a junk tractor, even if I may have come off that way.

JHEnt

Its not the hydrostat drive portions that I have misgivings about. I think right now their main problem is that they are tapping the control pressure for too many functions. Any small leak from one section causes a loss of pressure in all others. Get a leak in one spot and the fan drive motor destrokes for instance. Personally I think they could have used the hydros for their CVT's but left variable belt drives for things like the fan speed and they might have avoided many of their problems. I don't doubt that CaseIH will get things worked out. Its just bad for them to have new machines with such troubles. But then again Deere had alot of problems for a couple of years after releasing the STS machines.

running_red

i do understand what your saying about the MX_TG reliability vs the Genisis. i cant argue about more electrical troubles but a guy has to remember there is 4X the electronics on a TG vs Genisis, whether that excuses them or not i don't know, it probably shouldnt.electronics are here to stay and we better get used to them, mabey i'm making the best out of a situation i wished never happend via the merger.it was always nice selling two different brands of tractors instead of the throttle and shift are seperate on this tractor and that makes it a NH and the throttle and shift are on the same lever on this one so its a CIH. no hard feelings here, when it comes down to it i think we are on the same page.by the way, how many tractors did you have the bad feed tubes onIJ we service about 25 MX's in our area and have yet to have one fail.

Chads

Thanks for the reply. None of the techs at our local dealership have been to school on it yet. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out. Maybe they were trying to go "whole hog" with the concept. Who knows. I do know that hydraulic drives are used a lot on sugar cane equipment. I don't think it's near this complicated though. Thanks for your replies on the MXM's also. I always thought NH had good tractors in that size class, and you didn't go downhill any with the MX's, despite what you might think. Anything new coming down the pipe you know about in the tractorsIJ Chads

JHEnt

We didn't have any blow out in the field but we did have to bring in 2 of them for the campaign to replace them. They just happened to be built in the same time span. I don't think its a bad tractor but I guess I'm used to at least a certain amount of forthought by the engineers as to making later repairs simple and quicker. That was obviously not a thought on these machines untill the cab frame and mounts were designed. You know sooner or later you will need to get to the electrical plug on a solinoid and check for continuty back to the controller plug or to check resistance in the solinoid coil. With these it is nearly impossible without either having single wheels very wide spaced on the axel or jacking up the cab just to do it. BTW I think the actual time to replace 3 feeder tubes averaged around 8 hours per tractor. There is a mess of hydraulic hoses that have to be unhooked just to begin taking the upper valve block loose.

JHEnt

There's talk that in the future all Basildon engines will be replaced by NEF IVECO's. Basildon engines are the old Ford design like the 7.5l genesis engine. NEF is the name CNH is using for the joint engine from IVECO_CNH_Cummins. Right now though they only go up to a 6.something liter engine. In the future there is supposed to be a larger one. I would expect that when a larger one is made the MXM_TM will have that engine installed and they may have a new cab by that time. We'll have to wait and see. May be a few years away yet.