Combines R42 rear spindles

Brian

The N series was well know for that (especially early models). I've never heard of a single R series to break one. We haven't.Brian

johnboy

Gee us aussies must be rough because it's common here on 62s and 72s. Maybe it's because 8 to 10 mph is not un-common here. They tend to break next to what we call the kingpin. Our 72 was supposed to have come with the modified axel but it still broke,after it was plated around the spindle it's been fine ever since. It pays to look at the bottom weld each day where the spindle sits in place, no crack no worry. john

tbran

It is kind of a fact of life that All combines of the two wheel drive version will fail rear spindles. Take a look at the salvage yards and see what is the first thing to go. A 20m n + machine that has a rear wheel run in a wash out or ditch or what ever (25 mph bounces don't help) can flex the axle. We have sold 1 or two rear spindles for just about every model of 2wd combine for 20+ years. Taking a look through after market AandI, I find Gleaner is the only combine they don't offer rear axles for. After market is a numbers thing. If there is a market they will build it. I'm not plugging AandI but it is interesting to see they build front spindles for just about ever tractor ever built..

New2Gleaner

So I guess what you're saying is that there is no major problem with spindles breaking on Gleaners as opposed to any other make of machine. This is good news since my last combine (New Holland) was 2WD and NEVER broke a spindle. I just took delivery of this machine, and the unit I tried-out last summer was an R42 4WD, so I was unsure! Thanks!!!

johnboy

New2gleaner.If it has a nut or bolt it can and will break,doesn't matter what it is.Plus it will always break 5pm friday. john

T__langan

We had one spindle break - on our R50 several years ago. It broke while turning on headlands of a corn field with frozen gopher mounds and a nearly full hopper. The wheel hit one of those frozen mounds and it snapped. I tend to think they won't cause much trouble as long as you don't try to turn sharp on headlands at 10 mph. A neighbor who had an l2 with the aux. fuel tank would break spindles like they were nothing. He had a variable speed and would whip the arse end around and not slow down. That extra weight from the 2nd fuel tank added to his problems. Just operate sensibly and you won't have any trouble - that goes for all equipment for the most part. Tom l.

New2Gleaner

I understand that anything built by man can be broken by man; - AlWAYS at 6:00 Friday or NOON Saturday, I might add (our dealer has extended hours)! My concern was that somewhere below this message board, I read a comment from someone stating that they broke spindles on a regular basis. The weight over the rear axles of my Gleaner is somewhat in excess of what the weight of my New Holland was! Time will tell, I guess!

New2Gleaner

I'm starting to sense that there is NO need for any concern, whatsoever! Common sense does go a long way. By the way, Tom, is it just my imagination or do 4WD Gleaners appear to "nose-dive" through the field! I've noticed that they don't seem to sit as level as other 4WD combines!

T__langan

To be honest, I haven't seen that many rwa Gleaners to notice. But I would think that it might be advantageous to have her sit high in the rear to gain a little extra shoe capacity. You will always have more shoe capacity going down a hill rather than up - so having the rear end sit high would be like goind down hill even on the flat. For some reason, now that you mention it, I want to say that CIH started using larger rear tires at some point in the past because they discovered this advantage. Or perhaps I had too much leftover Christmas cheer again! Tom langan