Combines sick of junk 1020 s

Ohio__Steve

Any chance one of the bearings on the crank adjusting shaft is just starting to go bad and locking occasionallyIJ If not already done would try taking of the drive chains and turning the auger by hand to try to see if any thing is sprung or bent enough to cause a tight spot and work from there.

Anteater6788

I don't think I would be scared of the Harvestmore, I think they are going to share quite a few "time proven" parts with the 820s and I think Young's would probably ship any parts you need with next day UPS so you would be running again quickly. We've been running an 820 from Young's but's getting pretty thin so we are going to have do do something different for next year and I think we will get a Harvestmore 725 after having used a 1020 a couple of times.

Anteater6788

I don't think I would be scared of the Harvestmore, I think they are going to share quite a few "time proven" parts with the 820s and I think Young's would probably ship any parts you need with next day UPS so you would be running again quickly. We've been running an 820 from Young's but it's getting pretty thin so we are going to have do do something different for next year and I think we will get a Harvestmore 725 after having used a 1020 a couple of times.

st

You might try replacing the auger fingers with auger flight extensions. They work fine for soybeans and wheat, and are a whole lot less headache than fingers.

steamboat_will

Guys, Got done yesterday. Thank the lord. Back to the 1020. I think I found out what is going on. I sheared the end of the long shaft off and never noticed that it bowed the flat iron that holds the shaft in time on the lefthand side of the head. I think I am going to go one of three ways. New header New full fingered cross auger One of Young's Harvestmores I got a set of dividers from him this fall and I have to say it was one of the best things I have ever bought for my combine, along with Disrupters and the Hyd reverser I put on it this fall.I am going to call Young's today. as much as I know I should just fix the cross auger or replace it from the money side I am just sick and tired of this header. I have fought this piece of crap since the day I got it and I am tired of it. I have had four other 1020's along with this one and I have never had the oddball stuff go wrong with it. Hell I have a 1986 1020 with a wooden slat_steel fingered reel and an open wobble box that is better than my 1997 model. as long as you don't set the reel down to far...ouch very hard on sections. Thanks for the advice and comments. I have said it before that this site is one of the best in the world for real,helpful info about combines without all the color war B.S Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. later, Will

JWK

Say SB....Don't give up yet....I have a FUll finger auger on my 1020 now and would not go back. Does Youngs have thisIJ Is he still using the 820 size auger in those heads....Think about this....the small auger rotates faster and throws out beans.....Full finger auger takes in the crop much better and MUCH....MUCH less shattering and no bean stems on the feederhouse. Just my thoughts...You may have some frame work bent and need to replace the entire auger with a full finger......My ideas. JWK

Anteater6788

Young's uses the same exact auger that the 1020 uses except it is a few inches long because his heads cut a full 25'. Also the Harvestmore head will sit at 8 degrees forward tilt instead of 12 degrees on the 1020 which also improves feeding alot.

dakota

Have you ever considered a MacDonIJ Draper heads don't have augers. No more piles infront of the feederhouse. You can run the same speed with 6 foot more header. With the right options you may adjust the tilt on the go.

Anteater6788

I just remembered this but there is an update for the auger finger adjusting tube because they have had problems with them breaking on the larger heads. There is now a stub shaft you can add to both ends to reinforce the tube (part n87444258).

JWk

So would the 12 degrees forward on the 1020 cut shorterIJ To improve feeding have it converted to Full Finger. JWK