Combines STS vs Gleaner

Ed

The most likely thing that will stall is the feeder chain - or the feeder beater on the l2. If feeding is smooth, I have yet to be able to steadily feed enough material into the R50 to lug the engine to the point where the low speed alarm comes on. Maybe I'm just chicken to drive that fast but that's what I mean about things other than HP. Try this idea: if HP is the primary limitation, those bunches of crop will stall the engine before a slip clutch goes.IJIJ

acre_eater

location and crops may make a differance but for me hp is the limiting factor in corn if the bird is chirping you are feeding him on the ground behind the shoe .

95man

If you think about the 360 degrees of separation in Gleaners, you may get grain separated all around on the concave, but the grain separated on the top 180 degrees has to eventually fall with gravity through the bottom half. With a Deere rotary, they use the bottom half to let grain to fall thru and the top 180 to let separation occur. That's why it's longer, to let the grain fall. Gleaners might have more HP to drive all of the feeder chains too. My Nickel - 3 cents

T__langan

I tend to think that the centrifical force is sufficient to throw the grain that is separated through the top half clear of the rotor - I doubt much, if any, is falling back into the rotor. Deere SHOUlD have more hp to run the rotor inlet beater, all the augers in the auger bed, the grain shaker pan under rear half of rotor, the auger that takes the returns back into the combine, the gearboxes in the turret unloader, the extra weight, etc, etc.......

95man

Tom, I'm no rocket scientist, but Deere tested the STS enough to determine that what HP gains they gave it over a 9610 combine was enough for the 96 and 9750 to preform well in all type of conditions. I would rather have a machine that uses the power most efficiently and not have a machine that has too much power that will allow you to push the machine and make the separation unit the limiting factor. If I recall the Gleaner has a distribuition auger to spread the grain to the width of the shoe, I bet it takes just as much power to turn that auger as it does the 4 on the STS, which just go from below the front of the cylinder to the front of the shoe. As for centripetal force and grain separation, grain has to FAll to the shoe, if there is still grain trapped in the straw it can't escape unless it's on the outside of the cage, and if you're using all of the horses a Gleaner has, then more than likely the cage will be pretty full of straw. I like the 3 step cage the STS has gone with to separate grain. The bottom line is Sliver and Green have their + and -'s, and there are way more Green owners, so Deere must be doing something right to keep such a large market share.

Dan

In a dream once, only in a dream, I was up in the hopper of a operating R Gleaner and I flipped open the access panel to top of cage. I could see plenty of seperation on the top 180 degrees of cage and there is little to no chance a seed could get back down into cage for the mass quantities of MOG flowing around the inside simply would not allow it. Now that I'm out of that dream I would say if a guy figured the power it took to get the straw from header auger to concave on a Gleaner R with the two feed chains and compaired to others with one chain plus a beater or ears or whatever you would fine power requirement quite similiar. Gleaner has allways been great to keep angle of feed to cylinder exactly the same no matter what the header height is and that is part of the reason for two chains. Now here's what I like on the Gleaner, you have the straw up to the concave and it has not made a single turn or twist. Not hard to get a nice even flow across complete concave when you don't need to twist it up to get it there. Enough for now. Good bye.

johnboy

here is my 20 cents worth. i have just stepped off opperating a sts9750 in a crop of sorghum(milo) yielding between 3 to 4 tonnes per acre.groundspeed was 4.3 to 5 mph in a standing crop,grainloss was almost nil. horsepower seemed to be the limiting factor in this case, the sts did not have a chopper fitted.setting up the sts seemed to be a little easier to set up although this could vary in different crops.i did not like that you couldn't see how full the grain bin was when it was getting close to full,when the buzzer

johnboy

part 2 you pull up. will the sts beat the R72 in heavy crops i don't think so but it will give the smaller rotaries a run for their money and at the moment the sts is a lot cheaper than the R72. it will interesting to see the R72s replacement. john

gunner

The bad thing about the rotar in deere is that you have to take the feeder house and buy a special tool to get the rotar out. Also you have to take the teeth off of the thrid stage. They say it's about a 12 hour job getting it out. This is what I have herd.

T__langan

Yup, me too - and that is compared to 30 to 45 minutes to remove a Gleaner's rotor if you know what you're doing.