Combines STS vs Gleaner

T__langan

I'll take you up on that challange about the power requirements to turn those augers - the Gleaner auger is a simple belt drive - if the STS is like the older machines, there is a belt or chain that drives a cross shaft and open bevel gears to drive those augers. Each one of those gear drives will consume power - not a lot, but they do consume power none the less. Now, probably 90% of the grain coming off the concave in the Gleaner falls directly to the accelerator rolls and is not "moved" in any way by the dist. auger - the dist auger only has flighting under the seperator area of the cage where the other 10% or so is separated. The augers on the STS have to move all of that 90% from the concaves back to the shoe. And then the shaker pan has to move the other 10% from the rear half of the rotor forward to the front of the shoe. There is simply no comparison here. Perhaps we differ on our ideas of power in combines, but I definately like to have excess power to pull through tough spots or mud and back the ground speed off a bit of shoe overloads rather than have the rotor limit me. Believe me, I've been down that path last summer when we traded combines. Our Cummins' governor wasn't set correctly and it was quite doggy and that is very frustrating. Since we recalibrated the pump, she is rock solid - nothing will make the motor budge. Now, if Deere is so great at powering their equipment for any conditions, why did the first 9000's lack power so muchIJ Why did they have to add that "Power booster" thingy to increase the hp so they can unload on the goIJ And that was in the intro. of a conventional - a design they had been building for many decades. Now they come out with their very first rotor ever and you are convinced they have it perfected right off the batIJ Take a look at the displacement differences between the 9750 STS engine and the R72 Cummins - Deere is asking an awful lot from that little grinder motor. I predict it won't be but a couple of seasons and Deere will be putting a bigger motor in that model. As for the grain falling back into the rotor - see Dan's post above, he explains that quite well. I've never had the "dream" that Dan had - maybe this summer I should to see for myself! And yes, Deere does have a lot more combines out there but it ain't from a superior design - they just have a lOT better brainwashing, er, marketing dept.! I'll forfeit on that point. Tom langan

95man

Tom, You make a good point about the power issue, but on the brainwashing part, no. I think a farmer is smart enough to figure out that if the combine they are running is a P.O.S., then in due time they will find a way to change over. I keep an open mind about machinery, and if the Green's I run failed to do everything I want them to do, then I would be looking for Silver's, Red's or maybe even a yellow machine that could do the job, but I am perfectly with the performance, serviciability and reliability of the Deere's we run and I feel that Deere has their huge market share due to this and keeping their customer service at high priority, not because they try to brain wash U.S. and world producers, if that's so, why hasn't AGCO done more brainwashingIJ

95man

Good Economics! Maybe Deere is in trouble if other Gleaner operators can open others minds!!