Combines Switched to lexion

Combine_Wizard

Rod, please don't make this your last post here. Just move on over to the lexion page. No, your story was not too long. In fact, I really enjoyed it. I really love the Axial-Flows. Thhey are among my favorite combines and as beautiful as any, too. The lexions are gorgeous and as you say, somewhat "overbuilt." They hail from a country with very tough crop conditions for combines, so over here, the lexion will really last well. It s also a very "busy" machine, especially compared to your former A-F. Very complicated and rather "Rube Goldbergized." I'm really wanting to hear more from you later this coming harvest season on just how well YOU like the lexion as well. Please feel free to e-mail me at sun_dog63[at]yahoo.com. I'm wanting to make conections with those who own lexions and collect data on their performance and such. Also there is another combine talk forum with a lexion page. It was mentioned over here by Farmer Ed about 2 months ago. You should check out their site and they have added forum fetures this one does not even have. Good luck with your lex. I hope both of you have many, many great harvests together!

rod

Thanks. I have been on the lexion site, it isn't as busy as the CaseIH one. Either they don't break down or there aren't as many lexion guys out there. I will still come back here and will probably answer posts that I might be able to help with. I will post after next harvest and let you know what I think of the change.

Case_Farmer

lOl-......They don't break down It will be interesting to see how your luck is with the machine Hopefully better than some locals in this area best of luck to you and keep us posted good and bad

Combine_Wizard

I still want to get an e-mail to stay in touch with and even maybe get some pics--PlEASEIJ

ONTMX285

Rod, just wondering if this is the same CAT lexion 570R that was at Vincents in Ontario this fall IJ

Big_Al

Hey Rod you just switched colors you didn't die. I am sure there will be questions on here in the future that you will know the answers to because of your years of having axial flow combines. Congraulations on your new purchase and I hope it will work well for you. I hope to keep hearing from you in the future.

CORNKING

Rod good luck with your new cat please keep us informed on how it performs for you. I am relly suprised by all your troubles with you 2188 the ones I had years ago were all pretty trouble free there are quite a few running around here and the guys have had good luck with them. And yes the 8010 was a piece of sh-- last year and I almost unloaded it for yellow or green. But they did the recall and did get the bugs out of it and I will put it against any combine out there. We had the opportuity of running the 585 along side of the 8010 all after noon and we produced more bushels cleaner sample and less loss on the ground with the 8010. There was way to many belts and chains and grease zerks for my liking. It is built like a crude german tank and the cab is noiser and dustier then the old 1400 series. But you know what you want and I truly hope you have good luck for you will probably have to keep this machine for a long time for you will not be real happy with the resale. The red ones do have a lot better resale.And I think you will be on the red page there never seems to be to much going on over on the cat page. They probably never break down. l.O.l.

Harvester

A good choice, Rod. You won't be disappointed. Class for class, the lexion has no equal in the field; I've seen it many times. And when it comes to trustworthy engineering, Claas is impressive. I am also quite surprised at the amount of trouble you say you had with your 2188, but then again, particularly compared to the lexion, the Axial Flow is either underbuilt for the capacity of the machine or has too much capacity for the iron they put in it. You are right to give the 8010 at least a few more years. It has potential, and there are things I like about it, but until some of those Case engineers learn to swallow their pride and do what needs to be done to it, it's going to be teetering on disaster for a while. I looked at one 3 years ago, told them what needed to be changed, and guess what, same problems in '05 as in '03. Frustrating.

mid_west

Speaking of the 8010, please enlighten us with your knowledge of the same problems with the 05 models as the 03 models.

rod

Thanks for all the comments guys, I will try to answer the questions in the last few posts. I am in SE Sask. I will clarify the repairs to my 2188. Out of $40,000 about $6000 went to rebuilding the shaker system because my dealer forgot to mention the slow down kit. Case paid for that. About $6000 went into my 1010 header over the years so the combine really took about 28000. A lot of the repairs were done in off season or rainy days so the machine stayed in the field most of the time. In 05 the combine never broke down. I talked to a guy that traded his 03 8010 for an 05 8010 and said it was almost trouble free this year. So I know it will be a good machine eventually. My Case dealer and local JD dealer both knew I was in the market for a combine and not even call to try to sell theirs. I know the lexion is a bit crude in places but I will deal with that somehow. The 2188 was a pain to grease the 50 and 100 hour zerks I thought. I also hated changing oil on most of the gearboxes. The grain tank is a pain to vacuum out. My feelings on the 8010 came from all the posts here. I feel that posts this year were a lot more positive. I haven't died that's right although some of my "red" buddies think I have lost a few marbles by changing. lOl CaseFarmer your comment made mention of locals having problems with their lexions. Anything I should watch forIJ I will have pictures and comments next year. redgar@imagewireless.ca