Why the rush to gun stores

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Seriously - why the rush to "stockup" on guns?

Its the FLU people...you aint gonna stop it by shooting at it!

As much as I like to see fresh faces buying, these arent the buyers you want. Newbies with 0 experience, probably will never take any ownership training and buying from dealers focused on $$ and not social responsibility.

To me, no different than breeders running puppy mills - and the dumbasses buying cute labradoodles - not thinking ahead 6 weeks.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Maybe concern of home invasions since unemployment etc. rising.

Julianna

Julianna

Farm Hand
Since the stores are running out of supplies, how long will it be before your neighbor is pounding on your door and demanding that you share? How long will it be before you get looted? Normally, businesses are the target, but if they've sold out of everything, then you'll be the target. At least that's the theory I've heard in my neck of the woods. I don't subscribe to those beliefs though.

Locksmith

Locksmith

Farm Hand
People have been watching too many zombie apocalypse movies and are convinced the end of the world is near. They are also afraid that stores are going to somehow run out of goods so, like Wildlife said, are afraid of home invasions.

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
It’s very heartbreaking indeed... I guess insecurity is just what we have as human beings, like it’s our common trait... I just hope the situation is not going to get worse and worse.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Since the stores are running out of supplies, how long will it be before your neighbor is pounding on your door and demanding that you share? How long will it be before you get looted? Normally, businesses are the target, but if they've sold out of everything, then you'll be the target. At least that's the theory I've heard in my neck of the woods. I don't subscribe to those beliefs though.

And you have experienced this in life WHEN??

Oil crisis of the 1970s...no
WWII rationing...no
Depression era...again no

My old man saw legit riots in the late 60s in Newark, NJ...they had nothing to do with someone being unable to secure a 24 pack of TP.

The logic like this is just flawed. We HAVE dealt with shortages of essentials before without riots repeatedly. We are short of nothing essential tp the general public currently. (Gloves, mask, resperators are available to hospitals but there are limits) no need for the average joe to need a stockpile of these.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Maybe concern of home invasions since unemployment etc. rising.

Again...look at unempmoyment rates historically versus armed home invasions.

Facts are - you were more likely to have a home invasion in the "good ole days" of 1950s record low unemployment than in the late 70's and early 80s days of double digit unemployment and inflation.

Economics and crime do NOT move on a corellated basis.

bluestyle11

Again...look at unemployment rates historically versus armed home invasions.

Facts are - you were more likely to have a home invasion in the "good ole days" of 1950s record low unemployment than in the late 70's and early 80s days of double digit unemployment and inflation.

Economics and crime do NOT move on a correlated basis.

All of what you are saying is accurate, however these are different times. We are in a different time now. People have been exposed to the Hollywood images of looting and rioting, zombie apocalypses, and all sorts of crazy ideas. Rational thought and thinking for one's self is not as common it seems. Here, shelves of food are empty and people are already complaining of not having items they are used to. The news reports of robberies is increasing each day. Whether the statistics actually show an increase is not relevant, as perception is reality.

I was at the local firearm store this weekend just to see how things looked and talk with the Owner, and saw a few people trying to purchase a firearm that probably should not have one without a safety course. They barely seemed to know which end to point away from themselves. This scares me, as they are not being rational and seem be be scared, confused, and/or panicked.

Modern times are different. This is a worldwide pandemic and people are overreacting (my opinion) to this beginning of the spread, to which I mean, hoarding, panicking, and being misinformed by the media.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Again, I dont follow the logic.

"Modern" times...as in times where people have jobs, cars, families they care about...yea pretty sure they had all of those from 1939 forward.

Only thing we DIDNT have is the internet. Media was a thing then too...has been for a couple of hundred years. The media itself isnt new - just the medium we receive it with changes.

Y2K was supposed to be the end too...its the damn FLU people...this is LITERALLY SARS 2.0 - if you didnt stock up from the original and felt little economic impact from it...why do you fear the sequel so much?

We have dealt with much worse historically...and history proves that over reaction is a big negative.

I gotta love the thought process though...prepping for your neighbors to be in need and people having a surplus...so the best plan is to guard your surplus - not help out a neighbor in their time of need. Seriously wonder how many have bothered to check in on the elderly or single parents with kids now home from school all day who still need groceries.

People gonna people I guess...still makes me sick to think on some level they are held to be my "equal".

Toymaker

Farm Hand
And as to the "hollywood" images, lets remember

Orson Wells scared the world in 1938 on a book written in 1898.

Frankenstein was written in 1823

Invasion of the Body Snarchers was 1956

The Bible is full of horror stories and a few thousand years old.

Hollywood didnt start anything.