Combines 8820

pdq

I have an 8820 that had electrical problems too. Took me a while to find it. Mice had chewed up a couple wires behind the dashboard in the wiring harness and they would occasionally short out. You might want to check the dashboard out.

T_B

I am young also. I have drove and worked on an 8820 for many hours. I would check belt wear, chain tensions, idlers and pulley wear, the wooden blocks on the straw walkers, the sickle and sickle sections on the header, fluid levels, and grease the heck out of it. We check cylinder bars and the concave every couple of years. Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing, check the freon for the a_c. These are the main things we check. But soon as you fix all of that something else will mess up.

parttimer

I purchased my 8820 before wheat harvest. After several minor repairs, it has been running good. We are still having problems with not getting enough air out of the machine. We are going to make some adjustments this winter. Is your a T- II or a yellow top. There are some good hints and tips around March and April in this talk show. Where are you located - I am in Texas south of Dallas. Where did you get the machineIJ Good luck.

TRS

We have the yellow top. We are located in north westren North Dakota and run a 2000 acre wheat farm. We do a small amount of custom work for the neighbors. We upgraded from a Gleaner l-2. (ran it for two days so far and already noticed a huge difference) We purchased the 8820 from Dakota Implement in Beach ND.

Grain_Reaper

Hello, so you are looking for a 8820 Titian II too. We purchased a early model (82) 8820 two years ago and it has been a great machine so far. My uncle farms with my dad and I and he is looking for a 8820 TII or a 9600. It is getting really hard to find low houred 8820. I have the orginal brochre here that JD put out in '85 and it says that the engine size is a 466ci with 225hp. As far as I know all the 8820's had the same engines. It is the same basic engine that is used in 4840's and 8440's. I think the 8820 grain hopper holds about 222 bushels if I remember right. It is getting hard to find machines with good sheet metal, especially on the inside and outside of the straw walkers. Dust and chaff gets in between the walls of the machine and once any moisture gets in there it just starts to rust and rot. Our 8820 look really good on the outside but that first year we had it after sunflower harvest I looked in side, under the big access door on top of the walkers, and both sides were completely rusted through on the inside. We ended up cutting away the rotten metal this year and we added access panels so we can clean them out every year. One other thing that cost us $5K is the oil filter drain hose on the engine on our 7720, 8820's are the same way. JD used a light air compressor hose for a drain hose and over time it rubbed through costing us an engine and alot of down time. We now use a heavy hydralic hose for both the pan drain line and the filter drain line on both of our machines. For the little bit of cost to upgrade to the heavy hose it can save alot of headaches. We have ran our 8820 quite a bit with the nieghboors 9600 and I would say the 9600 had about .7 ot 1.5 mile per hour advantage. In 40 to 50 bushel spring wheat with 930 straight head I usually run a speed of about 3.2, faster if drier and slower when tough. 4500 hours does seem like alot of hours at first but there are 9600 out there with that many already. If the machine has been taken care of and always shedded it isn't so bad. I know a guy that has one with 8000 hours and the engine is all original yet, but he has always maintained the rest of the machine very well. As far as the capacity difference between the turbo and the Titan II, a nieghboor has one of each and he says the difference between the two is minimal. Hope I have helped.

J_Hasert

I don't know if this will be much help but I put together a very general web page on the Titan II: http:__www.toytractorshow.com_jdcombine4.htm Turbo: http:__www.toytractorshow.com_jdcombine3.htm They may load slowly because of the large pictures. Jay

VAfarmboy

The turbos, and the T2s both use the same engine, I think they increased the HP slightly on the T2 by turning up the injector pump a little. The T2s do have a longer seive, than the turbos. I think 4500 hours is a lot of hours on any combine. Even with perfect maintenance, with that many hours it is still going to have some stuff going wrong with it just because of normal wear and tear. I am currently looking for a T2 66 or 7720, and everything that I have found so far is either a total piece of junk or is extremely overpriced.

erndog

think the t2s shook a little faster than the earlier models. some fellas put different drive sprocket on the sieve to slow them down since some excessive breakage of the sieves occurred. the late 83's and t2s had 2 speed cylinder as standard equipment. if looking at 4wd the rear seals were problems. dont know what kind of money you are looking at spending, but on auctions right now the earlier 9600s are pretty good buys and they are pretty decent machines. same engine as the 20 series bigger tanks lot less noise in the cab. maybe worth a look at.

Turk

A fix for the drain hose is to put a ball valve between the oil filter and the drain hose. I have been running a 80 and 83 model 8820 and a 9600. Not as much extra capacity with the 9600 as I expected but there is some. My 8820's both have betwee 6 and 7000 hours on them but have been maintained very well. I bought both of them from different original owners. I have had to do some minor patching and there are holes in the walker side sheets. Really doesn't take that much to patch these areas. If you have more time than money I think they are a good choice.

bull_hauler

Yeh I noticed that the Jd's tend to rot out after a few years. I owned a 7721 JD and recently purchased a galvanized 1987 l3 Gleaner,no ispection holes and no rot.No just sh-ting if I could have found a 8820 with low hours like the l3 and in good shape she'd been mine,but I'll have to settle for a silver seeder.