Combines feeder chain

catdriver

We broke one on our 450 with about 100 hours of use and found that the slip clutch was way too tight. After adjusting it to proper torque specs we have not had any problems.

dakota

We replaced four of them this summer and repaired a few more. I have been told they changed the manufacturer but they don't know how many old chains they still have around. The slip clutch doesn't release very good either. They have changed it on the R-series.

blackie

I beleive that the factory setting of 600 ft-lbs torque on the feeder house slip clutch is too high. Do you fellows have the open front sprockets on the feeder house or the closed front drumIJ I've set my slip clutch at 550 ft-lbs on my 450 and it runs o.k.. I may loosen it some more and see how it works. I still think that the chain runs to fast. What's the use of having a variable speed feeder house when Cat wants you to run the feeder house at 410 rpm in the majority of the crops. When that chain stops suddenly with a rock locked under the front drum,something has to give.

dakota

We had to tighten the clutch, because it wouldn't feed damp straw or green beans anymore. The variable speed is needed in corn. We ran the corn head under 300rpm most of the time. You're right, when that chain gets stopped by a rock something has to give and that's supposed to be the slip clutch. John Deere's slip clutch works excellent. So we know it can be done better.

iaremec

i always measure from bottom shaft to top shaft of feederhouse and add 7 inches. 47 in and 54 on 60's and 54 and 60 on 80's. so yours is probably a 60.

striker782

The correct way to measure is from the center of the top feeder shaft down to the bottom bolt where the feeder face plate is attached on the side

redtornado

I read in some manual once that you measured from the center of the top shaft to the rear half inch bolt at the bottom. (the two half inch bolts that help bolt up the front support plate) They sit right in front of the feeder jackshaft.

john

we put a 3 strand in it wore a feeder floor out first year not sure why but if we tighten it up to clear floor its very tight shoulda just put the 2 strand in and saved the money.

combine_ken

I installed a 3 strand plastic slat chain from Harvest Services 5 yrs ago. I am very happy with it for small grains. I noticed no capacity loss. It is easier on the feeder floor as the plastic is not abrasive. CNH probably will tell you the capacity lost story, but then they also say an airfoil top seive is no advantage either.

Farm_Kid2

I've heard of cutting short pieces of slat off the old chain and welding them to the drum behind the new chain right in the center. That supports the middle of the 2 strand chain, giving the strength advantage of the 3 strand but less cost and better feeding. I have not tried it, but it sounds like it would work to me.