Combines feeder chain

D

Caseihc came out with their own 3 strand on their combines years after the aftermarkets had been supplying them, touting them as one of their model improvements, just the opposite of what they said before they supplied them - same old, same old. I think the biggest advantage to the 3 chain is that you will have a lot less bent and broken slats.

Chads

Go with the heavy 2 chain they put in the 2188's. It's about impossible to bend them. In 3 years on our 1480 we managed to bend one slat with a big ole chunk of root out of a fence row. The only thing I don't like, is that with the heavier slats it really bangs on the feeder house floor with the drum in the low position, which we mainly only use for wheat anyway. Chads

CORNKING

Question why are you changing if your old one is junk then I would go to the 3 but if not I would save my money the 3 will not make it feed any beter just will not bend the slats as easy in rocks or tough slugs.

Pist

Yes my 2 strand is wore out along with the sprockets. Are you saying the 3 strand will not feed as good as the 2IJ

cryseed

I changed mine on the 1680 I don't know if it made much diff. but you don't bent the slates as easy so that part is better.

Old_Pokey

I believe it was mentioned in a post some time back, that with the three strand chain, you cant tighten the center chain sperately and if it stretches for any reason, it can be a real bugger to run. Makes sence to me, the center of the feeder is where most of the material will be, that that chain will take the most abuse.

north1

Went to three strand on 1688 with the three roller support kit and found no difference in feeding, less chance of bent slats, and have to tighten the feeder chain about half as much as with 2 strand. Also the wear plates and drive sprockets don't seem to wear out as quickly. Another plus is the feeder house is less noisy.

Redhotnrolli_n

Ed; Ordinarily, a new feeder chain is leaving a bout 50% of slot each way when properly tensioned. I use a lowen chain myself. It came with a half-link that can be removed later when the chain gets too long, and the adjustment gets slotted out. However, this applies only when all components(sprockets, bearings, front drum, and control arms) are in new or almost new condition. If all's well in those departments, then remove a half-link.

Ed

My new chain is from Bauman Mfg. They use the same chain as CIH but make slats from steel that can be straightened in the field, unlike CIH. New sprockets installed. Drum has a wear strip welded on it so there should be lots of adjustment. There are only 1.5 inches. I have a tracker so there is extra clearance in front of the drum. Still there are only 1.5 inches to the face plate. I'm not sure the chain would fit in a regular feeder without hitting. Seems to me the design is flawed and allows the slats to hit the face plate before all the life of the chain is used up. I guess it will work.