Combines large wheat farms

Kevco

While on the harvest run this summer, my crew was working a couple miles from landO and stopped by one night to ride with them and see how the 8010's were working. Riding with the owner's son and he told me that they were running around 42,000 acres with a corn, soy , wheat rotation. From what I could tell it looked like they run quite the operation

BIGHEAD

my crew was working a couple miles from landO ******************************************* Where is land0. Thanks.

dakota_boy

l and O is located in the northeastern part of South Dakota, I heard they have around 15-20 thousand acres, The o part of lando passed away a whithin the last year or so, I do not know what the whole story is now. There was another big 20 to 30 thousand acre farm they called him king arthur, Art Anderson, that is now down to 1 hired hand and about 6500 acres I think, his article was in a big magazine. From what I have heard he went broke, but if you are broke how can you still farm 6500 acresIJ There are a bunch of big farmers in the northern part but I have heard that they are all downsizing.

dakota_boy

Why do you want to knowIJ I have been hearing on the case site that there is a big wheat farm in western S.D., but you have to remember out there they barely raise 20-25 bushel wheat on a good year, my cousins out west had to bale the little grass they had out there at night or they would start a fire. Here in eastern S.D. we raise corn and beans and just a little wheat, we raise 5600 acres and out of that we have 110 acres of wheat, but we do about 2-3000 acres of custom work out west.

dakota_boy

P.S. landO also own a dealership that is called far better equipment, I can maybe get you a n if you need it, although they are high on their equipment, they mainly sell Kinze.

Big_Truck

Cut soys_corn in 2002 for a guy called Doug Halliday near Creston Iowa who I was told had 30'000 acres planted,I think he has downsized since though.All I know is in town that guy had a helluva size of an indoor store for the crop!!!!

marshall

I would say size does not matter. I really don't care how many acres someone else farms or how much livestock they have. I am to busy with my own responsibility's. To me you are a farmer or rancher no matter how many acres you have. Here in N.E. Texas I would be considered a weekend farmer. I farm 1,000 acres of grain. My net profit has been good enough to keep me interested for the last 22 years. My neighbors farms range for 6,000 to 18,000 acres. I have no idea what their profit margins are. But I want them to stay in business so I can buy their used equipment cheap. Yes - I do work off the farm as a Mechanical Engineer for local company. I like doing both. I have no intentions of just farming.

C_Bine

My Crew was working a few miles from land0...where is landO...very nice BigHead, if you were a few miles from them wouldnt you have a general ideaIJ

dakota_boy

I was thinking the same thing, if you were by landO then you were there. Ha Ha

Ed_Boysun

Hi Marius, Yes, the days are getting longer and temps are gradually trending warmer. I like to start planting around April 15th. Only a couple months away! The idea of spring planting still makes me enthusiastic. I've got the farming disease bad. Ed in Montana