Combines NFMS louisville

riceman

So you just buy the color, not the inner working guts of a combineIJIJIJ WhyIJ If all the sheet metal of every brand of combine were all painted purple which would you pickIJ I run Massey because of the stuff on the inside, not just because its red. If it was silver I would buy a silver one. Or yellow. Doesn't matter to me. I've got a great Massey dealer that puts out a ton of equipment and stands behind every piece of it. If he told me tomorrow that my new combine was going to be painted silver then I guess I will just be driving a silver Massey.

Illinois_Gleaner

I understand where you are coming from. But I have always drove Gleaners they have always been good to me. As well as orange tractors. If I remember right, you are close to Cox'x down there they are real nice people to deal with I bought a Tye drill from them. The reason I am running a Silver Massey is because Agco will not build a class 8 Gleaner. I think its a nice combine,as I demoed one last year. But the real reason I bought it is because it says Gleaner on the side,and has the Gleaner cab,final drives and alot of similarities to my R75. Color doesnt mean as much to you as me and that is fine,I am just anal like the green guys ,but prefer orange and silver. IG

Mike

The Cat_Claas debcle is a perfect example of this. The lexion in design is a pretty solid machine. More complex than I like, but that is beyond the issue here. Anyway Cat bought a decent, but ugly machine and made it uglier by painting it calf crap yellow. Quite frankly the Massey combine product the past 20-30 years has been mostly a joke. Maybe the A85 will be the next best thing since sliced bread. My next question is how many current Massey customers are in the market for an 9785 or whatever the A85 equivalent isIJ So if you drop the A85 and go red the only current customers you have will be the current Massey combine customer base. Now talk about a small group of people. Now you will basically have to treat your Gleaner customers like new costomers and sell them on a new red product. And no I would never drive something painted purple no matter how good it was. If AGCO drops the silver models they might as well put the Duetz nametag on the tractors and ruin them for life too. If you don't think color or name brand loyalty is important look at the green guys.

Kaye2

Massey used to dominate WHAT in North AmericaIJ Tractors that were of poor quality or combines that were hard to work onIJ We had a 135 Massey, it was a bomb. Guy at work as well as my uncle each had a pair of that vintage Massey's and said they would NEVER go back to them. Of the two 1100's I am familiar with (one is a friends and one is a cousin's) one barfed it's Perkins last year and the other had hydraulic system troubles, but they were cheap to buy.

tbran

Agco is a cornerstone brand. The sale of orange tractors are going quite well. Agco will cover from 75-245 HP. MF was hilighted this year, notice the BRAND image portrayed. Agco dealers were told Agco brands will be covred next. There is a reason. Read new stuff. MF will cover the smaller end simply because of dealer n's. Dealer n's of compact utlilty units are many times over the orange dealers. However the hp sold over the 100 hp mark leans to be the orange strong point. Fewer dealers of all brands will be the fact of the future. Agco is and will be a factor in the market , be it red, yellow, rose, orange or dull green. What is coming will be... well, just have to wait to see it.

riceman

Yes they are my dealer. And to Mike, we just traded our 9790 in for a 9895. So I guess you could say we were the ones in the market for a 9895. If you called the dealer you would find that they have sold more new combines in the past 2 years than the previous 6 or 7. I would like to think that all customers under the Agco brand could stick together rather than fight over having orange or red or silver or yellow tractors. We've got an uphill battle already running this "offbrand", as my neighbors say, equipment. Most, if not all of us know that it is good equipment and right up there with all the other brands. After owning a STS Deere, the Massey combine is a cakewalk to work on and run. If Gleaner works for you and you have a good group of dealers, I hope Agco sees this and keeps them in the system. I don't blame you for wanting silver or orange equipment. We've got all colors.

ofarmer

I have to agree. We owned a 135 in the late 60's - couldn't get rid of it quick enough. Same could be said for all the M-F products sold in our area. Dealer went out of business in the early 80s, and another start up dealership took on M-F about 10 years ago - lasted a few years, switched to Zetor, McCormick, and Deutz; you'd have a hard time giving away anything with the Massey name on it around here.

T__langan

Now, let me get this straight.... You would not buy a silver combine painted red, but you just bought a red combine painted silverIJ Hmmmmm. Quite frankly, I can't understand the concept of walking away from a line of equipment that has served a person well in the past due to a coat of paint. That coat of paint does not make a machine run any better or worse. Very odd, indeed. Anyhow, getting back to the original thread topic - someone above stated that they were more than impressed with the AGCO reps at louisville and their product knowledge. I sure would like to know where they hide these fellas when the WI Farm Progress Show rolls around. AGCO always seems to have a nice display, but the reps on hand are just terrible overall. They do not seem interested in interacting with the crowd and when asked questions, they seriously lack product knowledge. I remember attending FPS several years back - they had a large AGCO Allis tractor on display, don't remember the model n right off hand. Anyhow, I asked the rep something about that tractor and as he was answering my question, he began referring to it as a One-Ninety XT!! No doubt an old Allis Chalmers guy, but c'mon!! Not only was he not representing the product by confusing the tractors, he confused it with one of the worst tractors in Allis history! :)

Illinois_Gleaner

Riceman, We will have to keep in contact. I just got a letter from Agco saying there are 2 updates on the combine and I dont even have it yet. That makes me fell good about what they are doing with this combine. From what my dealer says,bigger bubbleup auger,and something on the rotary screen drive. Do Coxes have any used Tye drills down thereIJIJ IG

Mike

Here's our geography. 10 years ago we had the supposed worlds largest Gleaner dealer in our backyard. They are closed. less than 10 miles east I have a great dealer in terms of employees and service. While they have started to sell a fair number of combines each year you never see many tractors_planters_Sunflower equip leave the yard. 25 miles east I have a Massey_Gleaner dealer who has sold quite a few White planters over the years and I suspect moves some tractors and Sunflower as well as some combines of both colors. About equal distance to the east we have a NH dealer who kind of sells AGCO if you really want it. After that you have to go 90 miles northeast to find what I would call a pure AGCO dealer. Now in comparison the county to my north has a large Case dealer and a large JD dealer. My county has a large JD dealer and a medium size, but growing Case dealer. The county to my south has a large JD dealer and a smallish Case dealer. AGCO has one small to medium size dealer to compete in that same geography with those other 6 Case and JD dealers. It was not always that way. In the 60's and 70's AC and Gleaner was huge in this area. Seems like outside of Kuhns in Central Il, AGCO dealers only exist in the areas that no one is too interested in competing in. So while I hear you guys talk about areas where AGCO is picking up business we are in an area of dissappearing AGCO equipment. Kind of like David Copperfield moved to town For the record I think the R2 series machines are some of the best and simpliest machines out there. JD is getting the bugs worked out of the system as is Case with the 10 series. lots of 7010's in the area this past year and if they get a 6010 to market I think they will steal even more of AGCO share in the area.