Combines rotor loss

4_Star

Not knowing what your concave setting, air, rotor speed, and sieve settings it is hard to tell. Although it sounds like you are on the right track with the hyper mods. One area that you mentioned was the seperator grate area. I know that alot of guys pull every other wire or cut them out. But, you could pull all of the wires in the seperator grate, then install 2 sections of cage material. We did this to our machines and have greatly improved rotor loss, cleaner grain and overall more capacity. These seperator grates (cage material) can be ordered through lowen Mfg. or your Agco dealer. Good luck!

lbran

How are you measuring your lossIJ Are you dropping the spreader and looking at the discharge material, or are you looking at the width of the shoe, taking in consideration you are checking the loss at the header. How many kernals are you finding per sq. ft.IJ

Rolf

Just a comment on rods out of concave I have a 94 model R62 and we harvest only small grain, I would recommend that you pull every second rod out of the concave if it's the low wire narrow rod spaced concave, and the same goes for the sep grate as well! I have had no problems in wheat with the wide spaced rods in the concave, but I can have up to six (6) filler bars in the bottom section of the concave to help with threshing! (sort of inclosed concave!!!) also when you are setting up for small grains close up the front of your concave two marks on concave gauges to help with threshing also. (This assumes that you have the concave set up to factory spec's) Also try hypers Modified sep grate as we are doing that mod to our sep grate this year, we have even gone a step further and taken out two check bars then leave one then take out another two and so on! till we have only five check bars in the sep grate and reinstalled all the rods back in so as to give us a long narrow slot to help with rotor loss!!! You now need to ask the question of the corn guy's so as to get the setup ideas from them for when your harvesting corn!!! keep us posted on your progress! Rolf

Hyper_Harvest_II

lightning, Tell us exactly what has been done in your hyperizing project.You mention in the first sentence that you are completely hyperized,yet you have not removed every other cross bar in seperator grate(or removed every other wire from seperator grate.).Are you running F2 bars on seperator grateIJ Have you readjusted concave to remove wedgeIJAre you running a hump kit on rock doorIJHave you installed helical bar extension on 2nd helical from gearboxIJAre you running half height cylinder bars on discharge end of cylinderIJlet us know,if any of the above have not been done then you are not fully hyperized. Hyper Harvest II P.S. Also detail your concaveandcyl. speed setting,head size,ground speed,kernal counts from cornhead and across width of machine.We need these to help in lowering your losses.

lightening

It is set now at n 10 on concave , rpm 300, thersher grate one mark more then mid position, sep grate at n 9, 5.5 mph in 140 bushel corn , ( tried speeds from 1 mph to 6.5 mph ) fan n 5, tried different hybrids, one rasp bar welded in bottom of sep. grate, added 2 reverse bars on sep. side now. Things done to hyperize- removed all reverse bars, added rasp bar on sep. grate, extended heilical bars,short heilical added on crop director,removed 4 rows of bars on sep. side and installed 8 disrupters,4 rows of extended bars, 4 rows short paddle with short bar on discharge end. I have both high wire sep. grate and concave grate. So I have not removed any wires. John Keller from Agco recommends putting 2 reverse bar on concave side. I have a lot of trash ,fodder,leaves, going in with the ears of corn. Thanks

s

Is there a reason you need to take in lots of trash_fodderIJ If not, I would suggest adjusting the stripper plates on the corn head so that you take in less trash. This would help with the rotor loss.

lightening

I have adjusted the stripper plates and it still brings in a lot of trash. All the leaves are still on the stalks this year and the tops are broke over.

Harvester

Say what you will about reverse bars, but they do work, and are more necessary on the R42_52 than on the R62_72. You can run them over the concave; it does seem to give more uniform wear of the concave and first row of bars, although I always wondered if there is more of a risk in material not being moved into the separator, somewhat defeating or combating the short helical on the crop director. What is important, I think, is the number you run. 2 reverse bars either in row 2 or 3 should help greatly with separation, especially since it sounds like there is a great deal of trash inside the cage. The high wire separator grate doesn't exist for the R52, so you either have the unmodified grate, or the grate with every other wire pulled. Take a close look at this grate, and if all the wires are still present, remove them. This is the most important part of hyperizing an R52. Also, you might try running rotor speed up to 400-450 to try to overcome high trash. Reducing separator grate to 5-6 range should also help in separation from high trash. Good luck.

NDDan

I believe you had said you run a 630 head which makes me believe you have plenty of power at speed you tried. Benifits of second helical extention will still be there if you install a couple reverse bars over concave (why not try it for the time it would take)IJ Then you best look into questions that Hyper had for you. Even if the high wide wire seperator grate is in your machine you may benifit greatly with 1_2 to 1_3 the number of cross bars per Hyper or Rolf. The longer the slot for and aft the more likely for centrifical force to spit out the seeds. I believe you would still have plenty of cross bars to trip up mat of material but not so much that it keeps material rolling!!! Do you still have pegs protruding into cageIJ Pegs may help rip up leaves that could be holding seeds but also may be daming up material to much prevention seperator. I believe disrupters that CIH has for ripping material apart intersect which I'm not sure what you have installed will do. My vote would be go with Hyper or Rolfs seperator grate mod and give her another try. I'm fairly confident you'll have less material on shoe to deal with rather than more even if you have a high wide wire seperator grate. What do you run for chaffer. We only run standard one on machines with long shoe. Maybe a corn one would work better in your conditions.

dakota

Now that gets to be all most funny. You say, that you know the cure but don't want to do it. So you'd rather lose some corn, than go faster as you know and maybe sit for a few minutes to wait on a truckIJ What did you get this big combine for, if you don't want to utilize its capacityIJ