Combines STS VS GlEANER

Ed_Boysun

The factor that determines capacity in a "stock" rotary combine is engine HP. look at the difference between an R-62_R72, 9650STS_9750sts.

T__langan

Big Green - I have seen numerous posts all over the "Ag" corner of the net referring to horsepower shortages in the STS's, foreign objects causing many thousands of dollars worth of damage to the rotor (One poster said his rotor exploded from a foreign object causing $15,000 worth of damage to the rotor, cage, and grain bin!),and recently a few posts about uneven distribution of bean residue from the chopper. These, to me at least, are very compelling reasons to question the purchase of an STS at this point in time. Now, having said that, readers on this board have read that a few mods to the Gleaner rotor can result in less than 1% crop loss and they want to know how to do it. Perhaps that is the reason for the questions around here that you have noticed. One more big reason to choose the Gleaner is all the help you can receive free of charge right here on Gleaner Talk. And look at it this way - if we can't help you, the entertainment value is stupendous! Good luck!

Jeremy

Seems to me that neither make (AGCO or John Deere) should have much grain loss if the operator is actually getting down and checking the ground behind the machine occasionally. If they do that, how can you have too much grain lossIJ Unless they are just saying "good enough" when it isn't.

Curt

My wording was wrong in my earlier post, but the point I was triing to get at is that JD has only had a rotor for a year or two. I'm not saying that doesn't make it good but Gleaner has had their rotary for awhile now and they seem to just keep getting better. One more thing I read on this post somewhere that the R72's can move through 12 rows of corn with little losses. I'll be honest I've never seen anything bigger than a R62 Gleaner (only Gleaner) and that wasn't even in the field. The local mill has a 9600 or equivalent because they trade it every year and I was amazed with twelve rows of corn, but they weren't moving very fast and good corn around here is 150bpa. I guess what I am getting at is that if these guys tell you it can be done, believe them. I have had many questions posted up on this board and I know they probably got sick of me but they never steered me wrong. I also wanted to say that I've never met or talked to any man that was ever considering going from JD to Gleaner, but I have been inside of a few of them since they are everywhere in my area and I wasn't all that impressed. They do the same job as the other machines but the only difference I see is more moving parts and a different color machine.

SilverTurnedGreen

Anything is possible! I understood that a few CaseIH techie's jumped ship to Deere, as well!

SilverTurnedGreen

Seems (to me) that BigGreenMachine is seriously contemplating a Gleaner. I reiterate, he's asking legitimate questions and getting good answers. I still run with one Gleaner and a Deere, both conventional. I had an N6, and may have stuck to rotaries had their been a great support forum like the Combine Talk Show! As far as Deere's ability to produce junk and still sell it; - you might be right, I don't know, because I've never purchased (what I considered to be) junk from John Deere. I do know that I enjoy great service from Deere, and when they do make a mistake, they fix it with field mod's and "end of season" upgrades!

SilverTurnedGreen

I here you! I still own one of each colour, both conventional, and it's a coin-toss to say which is better on any given day!

the_big_green_machine

I know what you mean by no one going from green to gleaner. I would be the first around here as far as I know and I can't imagine the flack I will catch if I were to do this. The coffee shop talk would sure be something to hear if I would switch. But I am considering it because we raise a lot of corn and I think a rotary would have more capacity. And Deeres is so new that I would like to make sure all the bugs are out of those machines. And Gleaners has been out awhile and they have some good features that intrigue me. But they also have things that concern me as well like the seperation capacity that I have mentioned, also dealer support is always a concern. There is a pretty good dealer 30 miles from our farm. I am just not that familiar with them.

SIlVERMAN

Hello! new to talk show.Anyway,gleaner actually started development on a transverse rotor combine in 1967 called the N1.looks like a modified G with cylinder up front. Just thought you would like to know.