Combines STS VS GlEANER

Curt

I think you hit the nail on the head. I would try the Gleaner if I was you and see what you think. I don't know the difference in the prices but what could it hurtIJ Who knows you may never go back to JD, if you do. We know our dealer pretty well but hardly ever see him. We have him UPS parts straight to the farm or if we are in a tight spot and he has parts on hand we drive to his house which is half way between us and the dealer. I have to give you credit for looking into buying a Gleaner even if you don't end up with one. So many around here will talk trash about Gleaner even if they never even run one before. If you still have questions about threshing don't be afraid to post again, I'm sure your questions will be answered. Curt

dirtdigger

I do'nt understand how the 72 can compete with the 9750. The deere has a feeder you can drive a pick-up into and the 72 is well...... alot smaller. what i'm saying, or asking is how gleaner can get a large enough amount of crop in the machine with a feeder housing that small.

Ed_Boysun

The feeder chain runs faster - this also makes for a more even feed to the cylinder. Does away with Jello molds , elephant ears, APS cylinders, etc.

the_big_green_machine

That is an interesting analogy but the price a of telephone that you might buy is a long way from the purchase of a combine that might have some limitations. So if you are going to spend that kind of money you are going to be a lot more interested in making sure you understand how it works.

Dan

I'm not so sure that Gleaner has any more trouble with cylinder loss in corn than any other machines in a given condition. I do think it will show up easier when a spreader will send kernals out into untrashed area. I don't think many have did a real accurate lose count or compaired another machine in the same field. I think we have a very good handle on what can be easily done to control a posible cylinder loss problem. I don't know how so much material can get up feeder and then threw rotor and then out discharge but it sure can. You know it only takes a snowball to start an avalanch and I don't think think we have anything more than just a small snow slide. Believe me we are still working on plans to never lose more than 1_2% of the crop in any condition. I don't think there has been a single post on soybean loss and the main thing that slows these machines in ability to cut off the crop at the header. Why not try get a Gleaner out for a demo and let us know how you get along. Be sure to let us know for there are plenty dealers out there that don't know the full potential of these machines. Good luck.

the_big_green_machine

I have thougt about inquiring about trying one but I figured I didn't know the dealer well enough to think that he would want to bring one out. And then I wonder if he would have it set up right because I wouldn't really know how since I have yet to see one harvest yet.

Dan

Sounds like a good time to check out the dealer. I'm sure he will be more than willing to show you what the Gleaner can do. Hopefully he has a machine to take out. New machines can be ordered almost perfect from the plant. Just be sure to ask him if it has the extended cylinder bars to discharge and ask how many reverse cylinder bars are installed. I think you could then set the machine in the yard and do very little tweaking in the field and do a very fine job. Yes we would have some more tweaking for you to do if you get more serious but I think you will like it the way it is. I'm unsure what crops you have but I think you would enjoy going from anything like grass seeds to corn with very little work. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions.

gunner

Who carries if HI or New Holland made it first. There the same company now