Combines Unknown Gleaner Combine late 1950s

The_Red

tbran same here. Slow at work. Anyway when I am out at the farm next time I will look. Herman claims its a GM engine but I didn't look all that close. We were busy loading the semi with soybeans so duty called. I left a message on Herman's machine so hopefully I can post probably more puzzling information later today. When I get home this afternoon I will look at the super high res pixs and zoom in and see if I can see any detail.

John

Being that small (2 row corn head, 10' table) it would have to be either A, A2, E, or it could even be an R (no not rotary). The one R I saw I noticed had it's designation on the serial number plate, located pretty well where they are today, on the left hand side below the motor. If it's not too scratched up or faded, that may give you the answer as to what it is. If you decide to buy it, what would you cut with itIJ like to see a pic. of it cutting corn if you do.

The_Red

John both corn and beans and winter wheat if I can get it to do a clean job. Neighbors are not going to let me mess around in their fields if its going to leave grain on the ground. I don't even know at this point if it is for sale or not. It sure has my curiosity up though. My ground is already in winter wheat and will be in beans next spring (new concept of planting both crops at once).

DannyBoy

If it's an E the Grain Elevator has been extended as well. The Es had the model letter in the front of the Grain bin. But, the Cab is maybe covering that. Also you think its a 59. Any body know, when did the E come outIJ The A and R (The R used a Rattle-Type Separator) come out in '51. The A2 and C2 come out in '64 and the E3 started in '68 as did the F and G. Since we're kind of on Trivia. There was a Model "B" (Rice Combine Spike-tooth cylinder 14-foot header) introduced in '53. In '54 Gleaner built two versions of the Model "T" the T2 had a 7-foot header and the T3 had a 10-foot header. If it's an E the Grain Elevator has been extended as well. The Es had the model letter in the front of the Grain bin. But, the Cab is maybe covering that. Also when did the Es come outIJ The A and R (The R used a Rattle-Type Separator) come out in '51. The A2 and C2 come out in '64 and the E3 started in '68 as did the F and G. Since we're kind of on Trivia. There was a Model "B" (Rice Combine Spike-tooth cylinder 14-foot header) introduced in '53. In '54 Glena built two versions of the Model "T" the T2 had a 7-foot header and the T3 had a 10-foot header.

The_Red

Herman finally called. He said it was definitely an E with the GM 6 cylinder engine. He bought it used in the mid 1960s and ran it until 1990. How well does this machine separate the grainIJ Can I assume that parts will be next to impossible to findIJ

The_Red

After reading your post I have double vision! Herman just called back. He said its an E that he bought used in the 1960s. It has the GM 6 cylinder engine. He couldn't remember if it was 6 or 12 volt system. I wonder how well this separates corn and soybeansIJ Parts impossible to get I gatherIJ

DannyBoy

Sorry I kind of got off you questions with that post. Just thought some of the Trivia fit here. As for the "E" working in Corn and Beans. They were_are a great little Combine. Dad had one for about 5 season 30 years ago. Ran it on his 420 acres farm. Corn,Beans,Wheat,and Oats. Couple of year he had corn out until Feb. As soon as he got the Farm paid off he traded it on a used C2. In fact not far from your Indy digs. Right out there in good ol Boone County.

DannyBoy

I just posted below. It might be about like trying to restore some old iron. Do you have some time and little (a lot maybe) moneyIJ It could be fun. Have you done much work on a Combine beforeIJ I believe I'd look at it as a Toy. Not to depend on to get the crop in. I least not someone else's crop. With this E it'll take you a week to do what an R72 can harvest in an hour. Not that that matters.

The_Red

It would strictly be a toy. If I had anything serious that is small it would be a Gleaner F or JD 4400 (PlEASE DON'T SHOOT!) I have re-worked 3 Farmall Hs and thought a combine would be my next challenge for grins.

The_Red

Meaner Gleaners. ROFl! I like that! If Herman calls and asks if I would take it off his hands I would do that. Otherwise I think parts will be a problem. Chevy engine would be no problem though. It was still running when Herman retired 10 years ago. It did not break down. The grain table is in very good shape. I know it looks terrible in that weedy barn, but the combine really doesn't look in that bad of shape. Hmmm. I'll have to do some measuring. Might have to slap a 3 side on my barn.