Combines Well guys I saw the new

mx270

I know where you are coming from but let me ask you this Do you speak for all the other NH Combine owners, operators of the worldIJ The thing that bugs me is you seem to think that NH is the only one who is going to have this problem.You should have brought this topic up when Deere showed us their new combines the first time a lot of people thought that deere had gone nuts. But they seem to be getting by pretty well besides the day of small farming are over and the competiton has stepped up to the plate now it it new hollands turn to do the same

JD

mx270, I don't care about_for all the "others". That's why we poured our money into the "Twin Rotor Concept" and the platform from which this combine has been produced on from the start. This is from where they(NH) garnered most of their following with the TR's. And yes, I think I speak for a large portion of TR owner's whom have been loyal customer's from the beginning! Small farming being a thing of the past has nothing to do with NH leaving the original platform of TR's. The '99 would compete just fine with it's foes of relative size. It could have just as well been beefed up to meet larger needs as it was derived from the original '70 following this path. The new leaders of the combine program just wanted to join the "others" with their overly large and heavy machines. The TR's where built on a smaller frame from the point of view that they did not handle the grain like a conventional combine. There was no need for all the length compared to the "others". less length equates to less weight which was appreciated by many. less handleing of grain equates to less moving parts, again another strong point of the TR's. And I could go on and on with this line of thought! I tired of preaching what I'm upset about here, seems like some just don't get itIJ JD

NHD

JD, you and I agree on a lot of this. I don't blame the engineers for wanting to be like the big boys. I see it as the dealerswanting to have something to offer that is not innovative or controversial. Many farmers, especially young ones are so "green" that even there shorts must be green. Believe me John Deere doesn't make thebest machinery, especially combines. The NH engineers have been concerned thatthe frames on th TR's were not built strong enough to support the bin extensions that we were putting on them. The Maurer extension increases bin capacity to over 300 bu. Very often NH people have questioned this. However they never did void the warranty. I'm still waiting to see CR-940 in our area. we want to try it out for sure. the green guys want us to try a 9650 STS. I hope we can get a comparison. I hope we get to hear a lot of performance reports soon.

Ilnewholland

JD, I think the 99 was as big as they could go without making major changes. My old TR-95 was 225hp and a TR-99 has 280hp, but the major drives was still the same. If you add a bigger grain tank, self-leveling cleaning, change the drive system, longer rotors, new unloading system you will have a very different combine. But a lot is the same, twin rotors(no beater in front of them),no augers under the rotors, stone trap door in feeder house, the hyd header_feeder reverser. Improved is the bubble-up auger(a week spot on TR's),no hydro pump belt, less linkages on controles, a built in chaff spreader, much bigger cab, nice controls in the cab, the infoview monitor is nice, two speed rotor gearbox with a nuetral so you can spin the rotor belt down to help unplug rotor, and much more that I can't think of now. New Holland has to stay years ahead of the other combines out there. We had rotors, terrain tracer, center mounted cab, engine in back, hyd head reverser many years before any one else. My old TR-97 could out cut the 9610's across the road before, but now they have 9750sts and I can not keep up with them in my TR-98. The STS's and lexion look to be a high capacity combines so I think NH has to jump ahead with capacity and still low field loss(self-level cleaning system) and low grain damage(no beater in front of rotor). JD if you can see the combine demo or better yet drive it and look it over again there is not that much changed as it is just moved around, I think it will look better to you. I am lucky that my salesman is also a farmer with a TR-89 so he knows what he is talking about not just reading out of a book. I hope you give the CR's a chance to prove themselfs as New Holland has been testing this combine for many years before we get to use them. Hope you have a good harvest season as we here in SWIl was very dry this year and we will not get to try a new combine for a few years.

JD

Thanks, IlNH! I appreciate your thoughts and experince on this. Just a couple of comments and questionsIJ Do you think a CR 940 will out perform a TR-99IJ I really doubt it is that much difference in them. So with this in mind why did they have to change up so much stuff. While on this train of thought you said no augers under the rotors but, they added 2 augers to the return system, rightIJ How does this system re-thresh the un-threshed grain that get into the returnsIJ I don't see how, so it eventually gets blown or walked out the back. The TR returns got dropped back on top the rotors, rightIJ Which is a more logicial area to place the returnsIJ You mentioned the bubble up being a problem on the TR's, maybe it ws before they updated it on the '97's as mine has never given any trouble. last year we had real good corn, I had a 245 acre farm average 208 dry. Highest measured acre did 233bu. Never did the bubble up auger limit the capacity. Header has always been the limit for us. Self-leveling shoe is the one change I'll go along with. longer rotorsIJ like I asked if a '940 will not out perform a '99, where these really warrantedIJ And with the big one, the '970 they went with 22 inch diameter's on this one. A complete contridication on their theroy of using centrifugal force to seperate with. Yes, they are still less diameter than the rest but, geez! This is the change of the guard I've spoke of here at work as they wanted to get "up to size" with the rest. I'm not a big fan of the 2 speed gear box setup. Also, the '99 is a bigger machine than the previous '98, correctIJ And what did they do to gain capacity on this machine, albeit was a small jumpIJ I guess we will just have to agree to dis-agree on this subject. I'm still not convinced they had to go to this length of change to get the capacity they desired nor did they have to abandon so many tried and true principals for these "advanced" systems. I think this was a "Meet the Challenge" kinda of theroy at work here, who can make the largest in size(not capacity),heavist, highest, most complicated machine going. Good luck, JD PS our corn was off 30-50bu this year but, beans are going average to a little better so far. Just hope to survive another year here!

wakeman

I haven't seen the CR in person, but I'm pretty sure that the returns re-threshing system is what has been on the TX for years. It amounts to a small drum on each end of the returns cross-auger under the combine that has nubs about 1 inch in depth sticking out from it. The curved cover under this drum also has these 1 inch nubs that the drum nubs rotate through. It's essentially like a miny beater that the returns go through before they get tossed evenly over the sieves again. The curved cover is adjustable to set how aggressive you want the returns to be threshed, or you can replace the cover with another that has no nubs at all for crops like beans, peas, canola, etc. that don't require extra threshing, or need more gentle care. Hopefully that makes sense.

JD

Yeah, it's something as you desribe. Add that plus the augers and you have more parts to wear and operate also you are handling the grain more and more again. Again this is a contradiction to the Twin Rotor concept as it WAS known. If this system is so good at threshing, why do they still have the rotored machinesIJ Why not this threshing system all togetherIJ Why is centrifugal force neededIJ Not argueing with you, just pointing out the contradictions within this new machine to prior NH propoganda. JD

Ilnewholland

I think the returns system would help me as I grow seed beans and harvest at about 14% I can have a lot of pods that are hard to thresh with the rotor. It seems to get the pods out I start spliting beans so it is a fine tune in the middle for some splits and a few pods. The CR return system should let me be gentle with the rotor and really thresh hard the wet pods. I am not sure how the CR940 will compare to the TR-99 as I have only seen a CR970. But it should be bigger by the spec sheet and handle more with the longer rotors and new cleaning system. I think New Holland has built a combine that will work for a lot of different crops in the world as the TR's was more of a midwest combine.

Brian

I have no doubts the CR will perform fine but at what cost. I saw the new CR at the Clay County Fair...if I recall correctly the the biggest one listed for nearly $300,000. New R-75 and 9790 Massey just over $200,000. They are all too much but that extra $100,000 hurts. They will be a tough sell.

Ilnewhall

Did you know that the crs have lights that flash when the combine is full.I thank that is neat, becouse the grain cart will know when it is time for him to come.