Combines custom harvesting

Big_Truck

I can give you guys a little bit of insight into going to the "OZ" harvest (although I have never actually been!!) I was going to go in 2002 but came over from U.K. to USA for harvest with 12 other mad N.Irish guys instead.You guys might be leaving it abit late to get things set up as the harvest usually starts in Oct and from what I understand you definately need a "work visa" if under 30yrs or sponsorship from the customcutter if over 30yrs.This I am told is because the Oz immigration people are real strict on those working without a visa and can fine your employer heavily if caught.There is a German guy "helmut" who posts here under "9880sts" and I know he was looking to go out as well and might have some contact details,his e-mail is hm-harvesting@gmx.net There where two customcutters I was in contact with in OZ, one was Evans harvesting (run 7 2388 and JD CTS,Bought two NH CX's this year posts under "charlie" on NH TAlK)and Watson partners who run 12 Case 21_2388.Both did have websites but I have lost the addresses, a search engine might help. I do have some contact details for agricultural contractors in New Zealand who are looking for Chopper_tractor_truck_track hoe drivers for silage harvest (some run combines too!!) and I think the immigration people there are not as strict.A mate of mine who was with me on USA harvest went straight to N.Zealand Nov 02 and got work with a large silage crew no problem and was paid cash in hand,If I can help any more just post.

guru

if you guys are thinking off coming for the harvest i suggest you get a move on headers are already starting to move to locations now and the papers are starting to full with operator wanted ...watson partners website i think has been closed has there only run one header now and do mainly the farms work if u are interested i could find names and numbers of some cutters but don't leave it to late

2rotorsrule

Thanks for the info, I very much appreciate it. I I have any more questions watch for me in the future. We're not even started here with our Corn_soybean_millet_sunflower harvest, and wouldn't be able to leave til November sometime. I'll post again when I am available, and would appreciate anyone imput in the matter. Thanks everyone who replied! Robert

charlie

We employ many people each year (i.e. Evans Harvesting Group) for harvest in OZ. We start in approx 4 weeks so send through your details. We will run 6 JD's (i.e .STS's and CTS's) plus 3 new CX860's this year. our website is www.contraharvest.com.au

Big_Truck

This is a website you guys should really look up www.outbackstaff.com.au Some real good info and combine operator jobs on here.

Grassguru

Why don't you start small and work your way up instead of jumping in to the deep end first. This is my first year of custom combining and I have a rebiult 8820t2, a 925 and 843 heads and will cut around 3500 acres after all is said and done not to mention several prople I've talked to are thinking about letting me take over their cutting, which would mean adding another combine in just 1 year. Granted I'm not doing the Texas to Canada thing, but I really don't think you need the newest, shiniest machine - you need a combine that is used but dependable and that does a good job because that is what I have found everybody wants. Good luck with your plans and keep in touch. 95

2rotorsrule

Hey deereman, email me more, I like to talk to you personally if I could twinrotor99@yahoo.com see you then

Davedan

Hi guys, I started custom cutting here in California when I was 19 and its been one heck of a ride for the last 8 years. My advise is if you want to start this business, you hopefully are mechanically enclined, I dont know about other states but here we cant afford to have the dealer go through a combine in the off season. Ive always done all my own repairs, and started out smallwith an old 860 massey,then to an 8820. Ive since sold the two and am running a 9600 with about 8000 hours on it but shes still doing a great job in the field. I Plan on getting another next season to add to the old one but it all depends on If theres enough grain to pay for the added expense. So If you got the grain, go cut it,thats what my dad always said. You gotta spend money to make money. Good luck.