Combines custom harvesting

1farmer

I would also suggest you start off small. This is my third year of custom harvesting and we still run 2 850s and an 860. We usually cut between 5-7000 acres a year with them. Granted this is because we do all of our own mechanic work and the machines are very dependable.Every custom operator started out small and worked there way up to where they are now. Its a tough go but it eventually gets better. This year has been very good to me and i am looking at trading up from the masseys to 2 9600 jds. It just takes time. My grandfather told me that any aspect of farming takes at leat 5 years to get going. SO i wish you good luck and if you need anymore advice fell free to contact me.

bub

Wow 8000 hrs is that sep or engineIJ How is your engine and what havent you had to replaceIJ

Davedan

In response to bub, little over 8000on the engine,and little under 8000on the seperator. Ive changed near everything or have rebuilt all of the greacases from front to rear at one time or another, most recently the upper clean grain case. last pre season I went through the engine gearcase to fix a stubborn external leak on the unloading shaft, and even worse the input shaft was leaking and filling the bellhousing and yes the engine with hyd oil too. If you got a 9600 take out the turntool plug near the fuel filter and check for oil residue. Ive found that the seal for the input shaft on the gearcase was just a regular external type wiper seal and didnt take too well to the engine heat. The rear shoe and distributon pan however is the same, as well as hydro, and Trans. I usualy put 10000$ each year in repairing, thats just for parts and material, my labors obviously free. This machine was a basket case when I got it but didnt know until it was too late. So I just made it into a good machine as I did with all that ive owned. So long as they are green.

Davedan

In response to bub, little over 8000on the engine,and little under 8000on the seperator. Ive changed near everything or have rebuilt all of the greacases from front to rear at one time or another, most recently the upper clean grain case. last pre season I went through the engine gearcase to fix a stubborn external leak on the unloading shaft, and even worse the input shaft was leaking and filling the bellhousing and yes the engine with hyd oil too. If you got a 9600 take out the turntool plug near the fuel filter and check for oil residue. Ive found that the seal for the input shaft on the gearcase was just a regular external type wiper seal and didnt take too well to the engine heat. The rear shoe and distributon pan however is the same, as well as hydro, and Trans. I usualy put 10000$ each year in repairing, thats just for parts and material, my labors obviously free. This machine was a basket case when I got it but didnt know until it was too late. So I just made it into a good machine as I did with all that ive owned. So long as they are green.

mxz600

What you make depends on the crew. The crew I worked for started at 1600_month, and also provided all food, hotel rooms_bunk trailer, and vehicle to drive to see the sites. If you drove a truck you received a little more than combine drivers. Not everyone needs a CDl but does help if you do. Plus, I think there is a little prestigue in pullin a combine (or 2) down the road, not everyone can do it. Hours we worked, like you mentioned, depended on conditions and the area. I didn't care for the OK coop's we hauled too becasue they stayed open till midnight or later, then we would fill the trucks. Made for some long days. But if elevator closes at 7, usually done by 10 pm, if not sooner. I did it for two summers while in college and took a week of vaction last yr from my new job to run combine for a week in KS for the crew I woked for and loved it. As a young guy, it's perfect, if you are trying to have a family, I would think it would be a little tough but certainly can be done. I'm already thinking about taking another week off this June to help out again. The other members of your crew will make or break it. I lucked out and had really good groups of guys. We never had any problems, sometimes we had too much fun!

Silver_Bullet

I'm not going to take a guess at what can be made custom harvesting but what you said about being a last minute deal may not be a bad thing for you if the trucks and equipment is all in place. It sounds like your talking one machine, you may be surprised at how much you can pick up behind the larger custom outfits. If they get delayed with rain and need to move on, sometimes they will leave quite a few acres behind for an oppurtunity for guys like yourself to get. If you have the time, go for it. I don't think you will lose money. One other item, be sure you have insurance to cover a farmers loss due to a fire or other mishap. Having to pay for a loss out of your own pocket would ruin an otherwise good time! :)

snake

I am 12 and i love to farm and have drivin combines since i was 10 and i aint to bad a driver. But my family is selling out the farm and i aint going to have kids for A lONG TIME!!! anyway when i am old enough i am going to do that for a while. hoping to drive some case equipment. i have run a 1688 for 2 years and picked 2,000 acres a year. planted. and worked with animals. But getting paid to do what i love is a great idea.i can do it all. but anyway i have always dreamed of having a 36 ft head and a 2388 combining wheat on a sunny day working all night. se ya later

dakota

If you're just asking for money, custom harvesting is the wrong job for you. We never hire anyone who's first question is about the money. You either have a real big passion for it or you won't last anyway. However, one of our guys last year sent $6,000 home from the whole year.

9610combiner

We get 26 cents per bu for corn cut and hauled up to 15 miles. $14 per acre, 14 cents per bu over 20 bu per acre and 14 cents per bu for hauling on wheat. Soybeans $20 per acre, 14 cents per bushel over 20 bu per acre and 14 cents per bu to haul. Hauling rate is for up to 15 miles. We will more than likely increase rates this year.